Re-establishing guiding with PHDs and daytime test

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
cwm2col

Re-establishing guiding with PHDs and daytime test

Post by cwm2col »

Hi Robin,
I am setting up and advanced sequencer to have two targets imaged sequentially, with the second allowing a meridian flip but re-plate solving once the first part of the session goes beyond meridian (setting my mount to go 15 degrees past). Resolving should get me flipped I assume.

Here is what the sequence looks like now. It images M45 until 12.30am, then moves to monkey head for a few hours, flips and stays on monkey head.
sequence-cod.jpg
sequence-cod.jpg (930.62 KiB) Viewed 659 times
1. I changed the require guiding during frame capture, to just frame capture.
Will this prevent issues with frames being dropped when guiding is lot?

I prefer to have all frames as I find SC to be a little too sensitive given my mount is good enough to guide over 120s without needing guiding (its useful for dithering and for longer subs whenever I need it).

2. When I stop the first target and then move to a new location, refocus, solve etc., does monitor guiding automatically get PHD up and running again without my involvement? Normally, I need to start guiding for sharpcap to run. Until now, I use the normal sequencer and start guiding first, then run a simple sequence for one target, but I want now to use all the night on more than one target.

3. Is there a way to allow the day time test for the advanced sequencer? It works great for the normal sequencer, but cannot see how to do it with the advanced one. All I can find is the option to test each step separately.

Thanks again, Colm
cwm2col

Re: Re-establishing guiding with PHDs and daytime test

Post by cwm2col »

My initial focusing run is on a region of dense stars using AltAz coordinates, but I will change those to Ra, Dec since I dont hook up GPS or want to faff with correct elevation etc. For now, assume the AltAz of 70, 90 degrees for initial focus will be Ra,Dec in the final sequence.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Re-establishing guiding with PHDs and daytime test

Post by admin »

Hi,

to answer your initial questions

1) turning off 'require guiding' will capture without any regard for whether PHD thinks it is guiding or not, so you will get every frame.

2) the 'Start guiding if necessary' step should get guiding running again - it will ask PHD to start looping, auto select a star, calibrate if necessary then guide. To be honest I'm not quite sure how the issue of calibration works after a meridian flip - hopefully PHD knows that it is in a different part of the sky and deals with it automatically, as there is nothing built in to SharpCap to know about that. Worth keeping an eye on the first time

3) Sadly there is no 'day time test' for the advanced sequence editor - the more limited scope of the planner makes the day time test possible, the advanced editor has so many possibilities that it would be very hard to make a reliable day time test routine.

cheers, Robin