how to get rid of GRID pattern on images ?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Zeeman Zeeforce

how to get rid of GRID pattern on images ?

Post by Zeeman Zeeforce »

Hello , I am very very new to this, I have a cheap 4" telescope and a SV305 Camera, I live in the polluted area of los angeles ! I took few pics
in both mono and color of jupitor and saturn, but I am still getting this kind of Grid pattern. also, on the colored ones I cannot seem to get any of sharpness or contrast correct. I tried All the programs recommended here and I just still cannot do it. Any advice on the grid pattern or fixing the colors would be greatly appreciated !

Zeeman
Attachments
Screenshot (114).png
Screenshot (114).png (659.49 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Screenshot (117).png
Screenshot (117).png (690.86 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Screenshot (118).png
Screenshot (118).png (662.81 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
SATURN ONE REGIX FINAL FINAL.jpg
SATURN ONE REGIX FINAL FINAL.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
JUPTIOR 1_pipp_STACK_PLUS rotated.tif
JUPTIOR 1_pipp_STACK_PLUS rotated.tif (43.51 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
JUPITOR 1.jpg
JUPITOR 1.jpg (21.87 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
JUPITOR 1 X.jpg
JUPITOR 1 X.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: how to get rid of GRID pattern on images ?

Post by admin »

Hi,

the Jupiter ones (with colour) just look like noise - stacking more frames or capturing at a lower gain (providing this does not push the exposure too long) can both help.

The Saturn image looks like you have not debayered the RAW source video (no colour and a grid/chessboard pattern). Check the debayer settings in your stacking application.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Zeeman,

Got the same thing in Registax on Saturn. Seemed to have debayering enabled (although Registax only use nearest neighbour).

Then tried reading SER file into PIPP, using one of the more effective algorithms for debayering available there, and outputted to an AVI to read into Registax. This worked much better - no "fly screen" effect.

Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, does Registax only use nearest neighbour debayer? That sucks!

Nearest neighbour will effectively give you 2x2 (2x1 for green) blocks of pixels with the same pixel value in a colour channel, which mean there are steps in the colour brightness every two pixels and that may not play nicely with heavy sharpening.

SharpCap internally uses bilinear debayering for display on screen (and when processing - like live stacking, etc). Bilinear isn't much slower than nearest neighbour and gives a big quality boost including far less problem with artifacts.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

Yes, sadly so, according to many articles on Registax.
A very cool program in many ways, despite that limitation. Love the wavelets ...

Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
Zeeman Zeeforce

Hello again and thanks for the advice. So what settings should I choose in PIPP? I thought the debayering happens only in PIPP? Can you somewhat guide me a little bit on what settings to try to I can get rid of the stupid Grid Pattern ?

Thank you

Zeeman
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Zeeman

See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254. Key screen is on page 7, you have 4 combinations to try.

What is the original captured file format? Perhaps you could post this file on the internet in order to download? The associated capture settings file would be useful.

Dave
Zeeman Zeeforce

hello dave,

I had already reviewed that document and tried it ! ... my AVI file is big about 630 MB !! ... HOW CAN I get to you ??

Thanks,

Zeeman
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Zeeman

Use a facility such as Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive (or other file sharing facility) to upload the file and send me a link.

I don't need the full 630Mb, so the size can be reduced using PIPP. Load the AVI and follow this screen.

reduce-with-PIPP.JPG
reduce-with-PIPP.JPG (86.67 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Dave
Zeeman Zeeforce

Hello Dave: I followed your advice, I have Three Different PIPP Files I have included here from my Google Drive. Please let me know what you can do with these files. They are Three files, Two are from Jupiter and one from Saturn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D03WYa ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T51HxK ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yD3n5T ... sp=sharing

ALSO, here are the two RAW files around 500-600 MB Each - one is for Jupiter and one for Saturn:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/194VzKE ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rmcKsD ... sp=sharing

Please let me know what you can do with these files, and again, I TRULY appreciate any help in making these images Better !!

Zeeman