cuestions

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
adolfo m

cuestions

Post by adolfo m »

Hello good Morning
I would appreciate if someone is so kind to help me in a matter. It's really about understanding how certain parameters are adjusted in sharpcap pro.

I do the analysis of the sky and I accept the parameters suggested by the program, up to here I think I do it well but then? I have to manipulate other levels such as .... brightness, contrast, ganma etc ...?
I have these doubts because these settings modify all the smart his attachments,
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: cuestions

Post by admin »

Hi,

for deep sky imaging, the best thing to do is to leave these values at the camera defaults :

* contrast
* gamma
* white balance

Using these to adjust the image tends to apply adjustments in software, which can throw away image data - it's best to make any adjustments needed *after* stacking.

Brightness is just another name for 'Black Level' and 'Offset' - these are all just different names for the same adjustment used on different brands of camera- that is one that adds a constant value to every pixel and can be useful to ensure that pixel values in the darker areas of the image are not clipped to zero. The smart histogram will automatically adjust this for you.

thanks,

Robin
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

Hi how are things.
Thanks for the clarification, now the configuration will be much easier for me.
Although I still have a problem that I don't know what is the best way to solve it.
I pointed the telescope at M31 and accepted the smart hi parameters. I did not touch the basic image settings (they stayed on; bri- 0
with-0
gam -1)
and after finishing the session I wanted to stack the frames, and the stacking program only counted 1 frame out of 90. It says there are no stars.
I think the cause is that the frames are very dark and as it does not detect the stars, it does not stack them.
Please, any recommendations?
infinite thanks for the tips
Greetings
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if there are not enough stars for stacking then turn up the gain and/or exposure until you see more stars. You can also adjust the star detection parameters for live stacking to help spot faint stars - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Alignment%20Tab. In particular, try turning up the sensitivity or tick the box 'Optimize for faint stars'.

cheers,

Robin
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

Hello again.
Thank you,
I have never practiced stacking live. Now that you have given me the idea of ​​its advantages, I am going to study well how it works and thus obtain good results.
Greetings