moveaxis error after software update

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
iKon308

moveaxis error after software update

Post by iKon308 »

Request assistance please to restore full mount control. Using Sharpcap Pro license, updated to v3.2 recently, new error "your mount does not support the moveaxis command, the movement buttons will not be available" when starting Plate solver. Indeed the movement buttons are grayed out now, but were available in previous sessions. Log file attached.

Mount is Orion Atlas AZ/EQ-G Pro running ASCOM/EQMOD via eqdir adapter, and a Mallincam DS10c camera. Incidentally, eqdir adapter was changed at same time from Shoestring Astro to Pegasus unit. Mount control appears to work normally in Stellarium which is running simultaneously with SC.

Very satisfied using the following SC features on portable setup: polar align, plate solver, focus assist bahtinov.

V/R, Dave :roll:
Attachments
sharpcap-log-stokes-27aug21.txt
(123.65 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: moveaxis error after software update

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

interesting, thanks for reporting with a full log, as it allowed me to get (hopefully) to the bottom of the issue fairly quickly.

The log contains these lines

Code: Select all

Verbose:	21:11:37.3888101 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountInterceptionProxy.CanMoveAxis :: Starting CanMoveAxis(axisPrimary)
Verbose:	21:11:37.3897998 Thread:#1 SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountInterceptionProxy.CanMoveAxis :: Completed (returned False) CanMoveAxis(axisPrimary)
Warning:	21:11:37.3907976 Thread:#1 SharpCap.ViewModels.MountViewModel.Initialize() :: Mount reports that it cannot move axis
We can see from those that the mount driver really is saying that it can't move the axis! I use EQASCOM too, so I know that I usually can move the axis no problem. My first guess was that it might be some change between 2.00q (which is the version I use) and 2.00w, but a quick upgrade disproved that idea. Then I went to have a dig in the EQASCOM source code and found this

Code: Select all

If gAscomCompatibility.Strict Then
        If AscomTrace.AscomTraceEnabled Then AscomTrace.Add_log 3, ("CanMoveAxis(" & axis & ") :True")
        CanMoveAxis = False
What that means is that if you have the 'strict compatibility' checkbox ticked in the EQMOD ASCOM options then the move axis functionality is disabled by the driver. So, hopefully the solution is to uncheck the 'strict compatibility' checkbox in the EQMOD options and everything should work again.

cheers,

Robin
iKon308

Post by iKon308 »

Robin,
Problem solved, back in control, thank you! Can you do anything about the weather here in Virginia?
All the Best, Dave Stokes
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

glad that sorted it. I'm afraid I can't do anything about the weather here in Oxfordshire, let alone in Virginia, sorry :D

cheers (and hopefully, eventually, clear skies!)

Robin