Need to see entire moon at once

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Moonstruck

Need to see entire moon at once

Post by Moonstruck »

Hello, I have a new ZWO ASI 224 MC camera, and am using SharpCap pro. Last night I was photographing the moon, but it was impossible to see more than a very small area of the moon at once using the camera. I tried zooming out the maximum allowable amount, but still I could only see a small area of the moon. How can I see the entire moon at once using sharpcap?
Menno555

Re: Need to see entire moon at once

Post by Menno555 »

Hello

This is normal for the Zwo ASI224MC. It has rather a small Field Of View (FOV) so you only see a small part of the moon.
You could use a reducer (this makes your FOV bigger so to speak) but most likely you still will not see the entire moon.
This also depends on your telescope. What kind of telescope do you have?

Menno
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Have look at https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/. If you enter your scope and camera details you will be able to understand what field of view can be delivered by your equipment and select different focal reducers to try.

Ultimately to see lunar detail over a wide area you will have to resort to creating mosaics. Have a look in the Gallery subforum at some of my lunar posts.

Dave
Moonstruck

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks for the replies. I have a CPC 800 HD deluxe telescope. The link to the field of view calculator will be very helpful.