Sensor analysis question

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
GSBass

Sensor analysis question

Post by GSBass »

I just ran this on my 485c once in 8 bit and then at 16bit, however I then ran it again in 16bit high gain mode…. I’m just curious if sharpcap knows this and saved it also or over wrote my low gain test…. Sorry if this is documented somewhere, I didn’t see it…. I’m actually kinda confused on when to use low gain and high gain in the first place…. My other camera just has one mode
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor analysis question

Post by admin »

Hi,

is this a QHY camera?

If it is then in SharpCap 3.2, it will overwrite previous measurements as the sensor analysis didn't keep track of the camera mode.

SharpCap 4.0 fixes this - you will get two separate data sets from your two 16 bit measurements, and SharpCap will then use the correct one depending on the mode being used. You will however have to re-run the analysis in 4.0 (since there's no way of knowing which mode the 3.2 analysis was using, so the only safe thing to do is ignore that data).

Once you have the sensor data for both modes, it may become clearer what the advantages of one or the other mode is.

cheers,

Robin
GSBass

Post by GSBass »

Thank you Robin, that’s exactly what I needed to know, I’m enjoying it, I used the brain in 8bit mode last night since I was not sure of the other and it worked nicely on m13, I’ll probably go ahead and upgrade to 4.0 soon to take advantage of this. And yes this is the Qhy485c, it’s not a real popular camera but I’ve had good luck with it so far, pretty big 4K chip for only 399 and it’s giving me enough space to crop out the field rotation and still have nice images
WB91

Sensor analysis

Post by WB91 »

Guys,

When running sensor analysis on my ASI2600mm Pro I noticed there is no control for offset, but there is a control for brightness with a value close to that of the camera offset. Is this the offset? I am running the latest Sharpcap beta release btw.
Sharpcap-1.jpg
Sharpcap-1.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 588 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, for ZWO cameras the brightness control is the 'offset' or 'black level'.

If I started from scratch now I would try to make all the names for this control the same across all camera brands, but since ZWO were the first true astronomy cameras that SharpCap supported (way back in 2013), I just used the control names that the manufacturer used. Trying to rename things now runs the risk of confusing existing users who are accustomed to the current names.

cheers,

Robin