Connect mount AFTER camera?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
gaar

Connect mount AFTER camera?

Post by gaar »

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, but is there a way to connect SharpCap to a mount AFTER the camera is connected--without reconnecting the camera? I'm specifically asking about connecting SharpCap, not the computer, to the mount. In my case, the computer is already connected to the mount when I'm ready for SharpCap to see it.

The mount in question is a Celestron CPC 1100HD, connecting via USB. SharpCap is configured to connect to hardware when opening a camera. Here's my workflow:

* Mount starts disconnected so I can use the handset for alignment.
* Open SharpCap, connect to camera to get the cooler started. Dismiss the error when it attempts to connect to the mount.
* Open Starry Night to let it start its long initialization.
* Align the mount.
* Physically connect the mount to computer via USB.
* In Starry Night, use the Telescope Set Up dialog to connect to the ASCOM driver.
* This is where I'd like SharpCap to "see" the mount.

I can accomplish the final step by reconnecting the camera, but it seems clumsy, like there's another technique I don't know. The User Manual mentions the option of "manually" connecting a mount, from what I've found on the forums is about connecting the computer to the mount via the ASCOM control panel. But in my workflow, that step is already done, from within Starry Night. I just want SharpCap to expose the controls for the mount that's already connected to the computer.

What am I missing?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connect mount AFTER camera?

Post by admin »

Hi,

you need to untick the option to automatically connect when the camera is opened (in the settings - https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Automa ... a%20camera). Then you can tick the 'Connected' box against the mount hardware when you are ready.

Unfortunately there is no automatic way for SharpCap to detect that you've connected to your mount in some other software - you have to tick the 'Connected' box in SharpCap to tell it to connect.

cheers,

Robin
gaar

Re: Connect mount AFTER camera?

Post by gaar »

Aha! I did see some references to a Connect checkbox, but the only visible widget was a Notes pane. Now see that the Connect box only appears after you open a camera without the "Connect hardware... when opening a camera" setting selected.

Not looking for auto-connect, this will be fine now that I can see the checkbox.

(Whoops, this post would have been a better fit for the "How do I?" forum!)