Computer Requirements

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Davidbr_48

Computer Requirements

Post by Davidbr_48 »

My computer is slow to respond to changes in black level, etc etc and I'd like to replace it with something more powerful. It's an ASUS laptop with 24GB of RAM, an Intel Core i7 CPU, running Windows 10 64 bit. How much processing power do I need to get quick (or, nearly instantaneous) response when running SharpCap Pro?

Would appreciate recommendations wrt processor, RAM, graphics cards, etc that would provide the kind of response I'm looking for.

thanks,

Davidbr
Davidbr_48

Re: Computer Requirements

Post by Davidbr_48 »

forgot to add: I'm using a ZWO 183 camera.
zerolatitude

Post by zerolatitude »

Those specs should be more than adequate.

I run it on a 2015 model i5 with 12GB W10x64 without any problems.

A general tuneup may help. Do you have an SSD? That makes a big difference.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

one thing to be wary of is that the slowness may not be down to the computer being slow. When these cameras are run in video mode sometimes it takes several frames for the adjustments that you've made to the controls to show up on the display. If your exposure is perhaps 0.5 seconds then two or three frame delay might mean that the control change only shows up after a couple of seconds and new computer may not make any difference.

The best bet is to check how fast your current computer can go – set the camera to RAW8 mode (or MONO8 if it's a monochrome camera) and full resolution. Set the exposure to 1 ms and see what frame rate you can achieve also perform a capture of 200 frames and see what frame rate you get on average for the capture. As an example, using a different brand of 183 camera, I can get about 17 frames per second both in preview and in capture mode. If you are a long way short of that then the computer may well be slowing you down. If you are getting close to that rate then it might be something else causing the problem.

Cheers, Robin