LattePanda

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
oopfan

LattePanda

Post by oopfan »

Just curious if anyone has gotten SC working on LattePanda or other brand of Windows SBC.
turfpit

Re: LattePanda

Post by turfpit »

oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Thanks, Dave. It's good to see people using LattePanda for AP but I am beginning to think that LattePanda is a bit of overkill for my application. I found this exchange at CN. The sixth post talks of a Minix-Z83. It is more attractively priced and also comes with a case which LattePanda does not:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5660 ... e-control/

I like the idea of spreading computer power around. My RPi is strapped to the leg of my tripod. It controls the stepper motor on my mount. I could strap the Minix to another leg and it could control the camera via SharpCap. And I already have an Ethernet switch attached to the tripod! All I do is run a 100ft cable from my office router to the switch. When required, which isn't often, I can carry a laptop outdoors and plug it into the switch so I can RDP to the Minix to do polar alignment, focusing, and manual slewing to a DSO. Once I begin imaging I can bring the laptop inside. It is a neat package.

Also I appreciated having separate computers as my ZWO died a slow death over its pitifully short 6-month lifespan. There were a few times when my WIndows computer would hang on a failure in the camera. I felt better doing a cold boot than trying to torpedo processes with Task Manager. So having my R.A. motor controlled by the RPi was never affected by the reboot of the Windows computer. It merrily went on tracking the DSO.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Interesting name for the hardware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX.

The link was an interesting read - note the use of StarTech hubs, not cheap but described as 'industrial strength'.

Watch out for the Windows version - Windows Home does not have an RDP server but Windows Professional does. I have noticed that if Pro is not mentioned in the advertising then, invariably, the product is Home. TeamViewer would be an option for use with Windows Home.
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Thanks, Dave, you caught me being sloppy. I used "RDP" as a generic term. I should be more careful. I use UltraVNC. The poster says he uses TightVNC. I will have to check that out.
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

And one big "Hmmmmmmm" about the history of MINIX juxtaposed against the Minix-Z83. Is this supposed to be humorous? Seems like a slap in the face to me. Is it running Windows 10 or a carefully crafted verison of MINIX?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

A carefully crafted version of Windows 10 I reckon.

Seeing the name just brought back some old memories.
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

:geek:
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

:lol: