Polar Alignment

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
elrico

Polar Alignment

Post by elrico »

Hi, having always done my imaging (mainly EAA) in Alt/Az mode, I had a go at using Sharpcap Polar Alignment last night, poor conditions, Cloud dodging and more than a few time consuming elementary basic errors of my own making, I eventually managed to Polar Align with a 'Good' alignment message !!
I used my main scope espirit 80mm and ASI 533 pro OSC and it worked well with the FOV, just tweaking a few things to get enough Stars on screen.
Easy to follow on screen instructions the programme guided me even when I had to do a 'restart'.
Very Pleased also at not having to buy a guide scope/Camera as I wont be doing guiding on my short 20-30 sec subs, I aligned Polaris with my Telrad to get me within the required distance to start the alignment.
Regards
Eric
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar Alignment

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

glad to hear that it's working nicely for you - with a little practice you will be getting through the alignment in practically no time each evening :)

cheers,

Robin
elrico

Post by elrico »

Thanks Robin, just need a bit clear sky around West Yorkshire, been a bad year here for Astro imaging of any sort
Regards
Eric
elrico

Post by elrico »

Just an update on my venture into using Sharpcap PA.

Last night I practiced the routine a few times start to finish ( 5 times in total)
Polaris in Telrad switch on SC PA 4sec Exp 294 gain
Excellent each time, down to just under 10mins.
Great bit of software, as my 70yr old eyes ( and neck) struggled with the Polar Scope, no such issue now,
10/10 for SC PA.
Regards
Eric
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Eric,

good to hear that it all worked well for you!

cheers,

Robin