Using Multiple Instances of SharpCap

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
brewerjd

Using Multiple Instances of SharpCap

Post by brewerjd »

I use 2 instances of SharpCap simultaneously, each configured for a different telescope, focuser and camera but the mount is the same. I have found that the Darks and Flats are not correctly saved with the camera settings. When I restart the sessions I have to reload the Darks, Flats and focuser for one of the SharpCap sessions, I have to edit the other session to make sure it is correct. Basically it appears that the Darks, Flats and other equipment information is not saved with the camera settings. Is there away to get this all saved with the camera settings? Note this is being done in an observatory setting so that the setups are the same each time for each camera.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Multiple Instances of SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi,

are both of your cameras the same model? SharpCap saves and then restores the settings using a hidden capture profile called 'autosave (CameraName)' - if the cameras are both the same model then this will be overwritten each time you close SharpCap so that the next time both will start up with the settings from the version of SharpCap that closed last.

I can't think of a workaround for this in SharpCap 3.2, but SharpCap 4.0 has the ability to run separate profiles - run SharpCap from a shortcut or the command line with an extra option :

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 4.0\SharpCap.exe" /instance=2
The settings (apart from the license) are separate between the two versions. Unfortunately the autosave profiles are still shared, but you can create a capture profile for each version and set it as default (the name of the profiles that are set as default are separate).

cheers,

Robin
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Sorry to drop into an old thread, but I'm having some issues with this command line.

I couldn't get Windows to accept the command line in shortcut properties. Does it go in target or start in - though neither accepted the copy&paste.
Error is 'folder invalid'. Shortcut being placed on desktop, directly from instruction in Sharpcap's host Folder.

I did open a second instance using Windows Run, so I do have two instances now running, but how does one differentiate between them given they both have the same names etc. ( Other than changing skins! ). And both show one atop the other in the taskbar.

p.s. I'm running Windows 11, not that that is an excuse :D

Geoff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Geoff,

sorry, the post above was missing double quotes (") around the path to SharpCap.exe - I have now updated it. Note that the extra '/instance 2' is outside the double quotes and there must be a space between the second double quote and the '/' of '/instance'.

You would place this text in the 'Target' of the shortcut

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 4.0\SharpCap.exe" /instance=2
for 64-bit Sharpcap, use this instead

"C:\Program Files\SharpCap 4.0 (64 bit)\SharpCap.exe" /instance=2
I agree that there needs to be a way to distinguish - I will try to add the instance number to the title bar text - that's easy. Not sure how easy stopping the stacking is...

cheers,

Robin
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Cheers Robin,

I'll have another go, but I added the "" around the text to no avail, before posting here.

If it still refuses to play ball I'll 'just' create a second installation and do it that way.

At least there are two skins that can be used day/night, so it's doable.

Thank you....
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Robin,

Success. Each shortcut can be named accordingly.

Seem to have a pegasus focuser issue that sharpcap didn't like! Error message was sent, maybe I need to double-check the driver.

Subject, pehaps for another thread.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad you got that part working. I have added the 'SharpCap #3 ....' to the title bar and also sorted out the stacking (or not) of the taskbar icons.

For the Pegasus, make sure you have the latest ASCOM driver from them installed. Also you may need their 'all-in-one' software too. Finally, It's possible to configure your pegasus so it will not move in SharpCap by turning on the step limit option in their settings and forgetting to increase the limit position from the default of zero... If you do that SharpCap thinks the Pegasus can move from position 0 to a limit of 0...

cheers,

Robin
mwg3656

Post by mwg3656 »

I am using 3 2600MM cameras. Each instance is started (save autosave file works well) by clicking the icon on the task bar, no RUN command needed. A new instance is started with each camera serial number in the top header. I am able to save all files in FITS format by using the save all selection and then by stacking in DSS. However I have to find each file in the 2 cameras that were not paused during dither. The camera controlling dither with PHD2 can by set to not to save dithered frames, but the others do not know about dithering.

I would like to have SharpCap stack again (huge folder sizes using the save all FITS method) be able to communicate with the other camera instances and pause their stacking during dither. Is that possible?

thanks,
Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

if your dithering is fairly infrequent (every five or 10 frames or more, rather than every one or two), then you might be able to put something together that 'kind of' works...

Set one copy of SharpCap up to talk to PHD2 and perform the dithering - that copy will work in an ideal fashion, only dithering when the frame is over, taking short exposures while dithering, etc.

Set the other copy up to talk to PHD2 and tick the box that reads 'only stack when guidinng is active' (slightly different wording in 4.0). That copy should monitor the PHD2 status and ignore any frames captured when PHD enters the dithering state (I think - I haven't tried this yet, since the idea only just came to me). So, you should get a workable stack, but you will end up losing frames as sometimes it will be half way through a frame when the other SharpCap decides to dither. If you are using relatively short frames then this may not be too much of an issue.

It's worth a try - will probably work better in SharpCap 4.1 beta than SharpCap 4.0, since I have improved the PHD interaction.

A proper solution may be on the cards at some point, since I tend to have two cameras active now, so I have already been thinking about this area.

cheers,

Robin
mwg3656

Post by mwg3656 »

Hi Robin,

thanks for the idea, I will try it next out.
Typically I use Gain=200 and Exposure 60-90sec (SHO filters) and dither every 3-4 frames.

I will also try more Gain, shorter exposures and more frames to dither.

again thanks,
Mark