Running multiple instances of SharpCap (stereo EAA)

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
aplewe

Running multiple instances of SharpCap (stereo EAA)

Post by aplewe »

So... Crazy idea, but I thought it'd be fun to try and use VR goggles for something. Namely, "live" viewing image stacking and video feeds from two cameras. This is still just an idea, but I'm slowly assembling the things I need to try it out. Basic set-up:

2 imaging cameras mated to lenses (or perhaps smaller telescopes)

Laptop running two instances of SharpCap

VR goggles or any other head-mounted thing with two displays.

Each screen in the googles would show the output from one of the instances of SharpCap. I would keep the cameras/lenses light so they can mount on the same goto equatorial mount. They can be rigged together and put on the mount using off-the-shelf camera rigging stuff (basically two 18" long 15mm rods, a couple of mounting plates, and so on). I have a binoviewer that I might use instead, one camera on each eyepiece, mated to a single scope.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out right now (don't have suitable VR goggles yet) is how to send images to the goggles. 3D video is "side-by-side" or "top-bottom". If the displays show up on a PC as two separate displays, then this should be relatively straightforward. However, if I have to stitch the displays from SharpCap together I suppose it's a bit more complicated.

Next step is to find a suitable pair and do the "simple" version, namely connect them to the HDMI output on my camera directly (Fuji X-T3) and see what I can see.

I have run two instances of SharpCap at once, next is to hook up some cameras and see how that goes. My laptop seems to do fine running one instance using a "folder monitor camera", which is how I image currently with the X-T3. For the "stereo" imaging I'll probably get a second ZWO ASI120MC-S and adapt a couple of 50mm camera lenses to start.

Anyways, if anyone else has thought of/tried this, I'd be curious to hear how it went. Basic googling shows lots of "virtual" astronomy things on VR goggles. I figure why not look at the real thing in real time?