Can't Plate Solve with Hyperstar

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
jimmyjames

Can't Plate Solve with Hyperstar

Post by jimmyjames »

I just installed a Hyperstar unit on my telescope. After adding Hyperstar I have not been able to plate solve any target.

Do you have any hints or suggestions? And what information would be useful to help solve this issue.

Thank yo for your Help and Support.
James
BlackWikkett

Re: Can't Plate Solve with Hyperstar

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi jimmyjames

Which plate solver were you using prior to Hyperstar installation? Have you updated your index files for the plate solver to include the wider field of view the Hyperstar provides? Assuming you're using a plate solver that has individual index files.

A relatively new plate solver addition to SharpCap is ASTAP found here https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm This is by far one of the easiest installs and performance is 50% plus quicker than AstroTortill and All Sky Plate Solver (based on my observation) Suggest this if you just want it to work!

Hope this helps, Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

now that you are using a hyperstar, the field-of-view of each of your images will be much larger than it was before – you may need to go back to the set up for your plate solving application and install more data to cover the wider fields of view.

Cheers, Robin
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

I found the following in the Forum, which seems to imply that I can not change the FOV:

Re: Loading different astrotortilla settings files from within Sharpcap
Post by admin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi,

SharpCap completely ignores the AstroTortilla config when it does plate solving - basically it uses the plate solving engine that AstroTortilla installs, but passes its own set of options to that engine.

The only user configurable option for the plate solving is the 'sigma' parameter which controls star detection - high sigma values suppress noise (and small stars), so turn it down if you get too few and up if you get too many.

cheers,

Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi Jimmy James,

The information you shard is true. You're not changing any FOV settings but have in effect changed the FOV of images captured with Hyperstar. You now need to make sure your AstroTortilla install has the correct index files to cover the wider FOV. You'll need to run the installer for AstroTortilla again and provide the new maximum and minimum FOV to the installer. This will then add the additional index files you need to allow plate solving for the wider FOV.

Have a look at this link for tutorial: https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tu ... lving.html

-Chris
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

Thanks, I actually did that after reading the first response, but then I found that reference in the forum. So to be safe I sent in a message.

I am now just waiting for a clear night.

Thank you for your Help.

James
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

Still having problems after changing.

Please look at Screenshots.

SharpCap Settings for Plate Solve
Sharp Cap options for Plate Solve tool
Sharp Cap options for Plate Solve tool
Screenshot (8).png (305.71 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Error running Plate Solve tool
Plate Solve Error
Plate Solve Error
Screenshot (7).png (450.12 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Revised Astro Tortilla config
New Astro Tortilla config
New Astro Tortilla config
Screenshot (6).png (333.82 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Thanks
James
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Can you share the SharpCap log after you have tried plate solving please? All the output from the plate solving application goes into the log, so there will be a lot there and hopefully among it will be something of use. Also please snapshot a single frame that will not solve and share that - that lets us test to see if we can work out what is going on.

thanks,

Robin
celkins

Post by celkins »

Hi,
I experienced this same issue in the past when trying to use Astrotortilla v0.7, tried a bunch of things, but never could get it to work: I tried the 0.8 beta, and it worked first time...
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

Log attached
Attachments
SharpCap Log.docx
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 98 times