Does a long active USB 3.1 cable affect capture quality?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Menno555

Does a long active USB 3.1 cable affect capture quality?

Post by Menno555 »

I am using a 15 meter active USB 3 cable (Club 3D USB 3.2 Gen1 Active Repeater Cable 15m/ 49.2 ft) to transmit data directly from the Zwo ASI 385MC camera to my high-end PC, no hubs involved. In SharpCap I can have the full 120fps the camera can do.
But till now I never wondered if it can affect the quality in any way? Maybe it delivers full speed but the signal degrades so data is lost?
And yes, I know: the are plenty of wireless solutions available. But I'm a Cable Guy ;) Even my mouse is old fashioned wired.

Menno
turfpit

Re: Does a long active USB 3.1 cable affect capture quality?

Post by turfpit »

Menno

Are you using the included 1x Power Supply Input 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.35A max-Output 5V 2000mA?

Dave
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Dave

I did try with and without it and there was no noticeable difference, so for now without.

Menno
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi Menno555

I've found these USB extension cables to be hit and miss even comparing the same model cable from a manufacturer. The advertised speed is 5 Gbps which is no where near the 252 Mbps your 385 will output at 120 FPS. If and when you get a higher resolution camera that exceeds the bandwidth available you will know right away. The behavior I've seen in SharpCap when the extension cable or standard cable has a problem. You'll notice image drops or if you watch the progress bar as the camera captures frames it'll freeze. I've not seen image degradation. It usually just works or doesn't.

-Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

because the data transfer over USB is digital, long USB cables will not degrade the image quality. They may stop the camera from working entirely, or make it less reliable, but if the images do get through then they will not have been reduced in quality at all.

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Okay, thanks all!

Menno