All Sky Plate Solver GUI

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
smithn00

All Sky Plate Solver GUI

Post by smithn00 »

I have installed ASPS for SC to use and it works quite well. But when I try to use the app stand-alone, it doesn't work at all. I have solved several images with Astrometry.net and used the parameters given in the solve in theASPS setup wizard. No luck. ASPS works away for a while and then says it can't solve the image. What am I missing ?
cuivenion

Re: All Sky Plate Solver GUI

Post by cuivenion »

ASPS hasn't been updated for a few years now. I used to use it before running into problems. I use ASTAP instead now, which works a lot better for me inside Sharpcap. You can use it to solve outside Sharpcap too but I haven't tried that.
smithn00

Post by smithn00 »

The feature I want to use from ASPS is to be able to click anywhere in the solved image and get the RA/Dec of that point. Do you know of an app that will do that?
Thanks
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi

Keep in mind when solving via SharpCap via plate solve and sync command in the SharpCap mount control. This passes the the mounts current position to the solver and the solver narrows the search by X degrees around the mounts coordinates (usually x = 15 degrees.) This drastically increases the the speed that the solver will identify the image coordinates. I'm not a user of ASPS but if memory serves the application has a facility to connect a mount, grab images from the camera and sync. You could try this to see if it works in this mode. Good luck.

-Chris
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

smithn00 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:14 pm The feature I want to use from ASPS is to be able to click anywhere in the solved image and get the RA/Dec of that point. Do you know of an app that will do that?
Thanks
Sorry no, good luck with it.
SteveMcN

Post by SteveMcN »

I use the ASPS gui successfully but I nearly gave up on it in the initial stages. I found that to make it solve reliably I had to add between 5% and 15% to the nominal focal length for the telescopes I was using it with. I had to do the same when using it via APT as well.

Before giving up I would try varying the focal length in the ASPS settings to see if that will get it to work for you.