Optec DirectSync SVX 30 focus motor

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
umasscrew39

Optec DirectSync SVX 30 focus motor

Post by umasscrew39 »

I purchased this focus motor for my Stellarvue 80mm which I just piggybacked onto my C11 EdgeHD in my observatory. I was planning on installing it but saw an old post here from 2018 about an Optec motor focuser getting hung up using SC but not with other software programs. Since my scope is 12ft off of the ground, I figured I'd check if others have had a similar problem before climbing up to install it. My Celestron motor focuser works fine on the C11 with SC so it appears to be/was a specific issue with Optec despite it being ASCOM compliant. If I do not hear back from anyone in a few days, I'll just have to chance it and see how it goes.

Bruce
umasscrew39

Re: Optec DirectSync SVX 30 focus motor

Post by umasscrew39 »

I installed the autofocuser and it works fine through Sharpcap but I had to learn a couple of things as it does not connect like the Celestron autofocuser. After I downloaded the FocusLynx Commander Software and ASCOM Driver, I went into SC hardware settings to add it and you have 2 choices, an ASCOM option and a non-ASCOM option. I tried both and they both failed to connect. Not sure why this happens as I have not had any other issues connecting hardware. However, what I did learn was that if I connect first to the autofocuser using the desktop app icon and then open SC, it works fine. Seems a bit odd that I need to do that so I have asked Optec if I am missing a step. I'll update this as I get more info from them as this may be useful for others who are thinking about purchasing this excellent autofocuser.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've seen cases before where the Ascom device won't connect the first time because things like the com port have not been set up. Usually though, after that first-time setup is completed you shouldn't see any problems. You certainly shouldn't if the device is running according to the Ascom spec…

Anyway, good to hear that you survive the trip to the top of the ladder to work on the set up. :-)

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Robin

You beat me too it. I got it sorted out as it was a com port recognition issue. It now starts smoothly within SharpCap just like the Celestron autofocuser. Now I have the best of everything from up high. Easy autofocus from the 80mm which is piggybacked onto the C11" EdgeHD.

I did suggest to Optec not to promote my approach as to how to install this.... and they agreed :lol:

Thanks for checking in with your advice as always,
Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

Good to hear that it is all working now – looking forward to seeing some results :-)

Cheers, Robin