Issue connecting with ZWO mini-filter wheel

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
umasscrew39

Issue connecting with ZWO mini-filter wheel

Post by umasscrew39 »

I have been using a SX mini-filter wheel with no issues. Now I am trying the ZWO mini-filter wheel with my hyperstar but it is not responding. All new cables and have power and even downloaded the ASCOM driver. I am using a simple USB 2.0 printer cable to connect the filter wheel to the camera. Does it require a special USB 2.0 cable? SC gave me this error message...

ZWOptical.EFWSDK.WheelException: Error 'EFW_ERROR_REMOVED' from call to
ASIGetPosition(ID=0)
at ZWOptical.EFWSDK.EFWdll.CheckResult(EFW_ERROR_CODE result, MethodBase callingMethod, Object[] parameters) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\Packages\EFW SDK\include\EFWdll.cs:line 132
at ZWOptical.EFWSDK.EFWdll.GetPosition(Int32 ID) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\Packages\EFW SDK\include\EFWdll.cs:line 102
at SharpCap.WheelProxy.ZWO.ZWOWheelProxy.get_Position() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.WheelProxy.ZWO\ZWOWheelProxy.cs:line 68
at SharpCap.Models.Wheel.get_Position() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\Models\Wheel.cs:line 101
at SharpCap.Base.PropertyControls.WheelPropertyControl.WheelFeature.get_Value() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.Base\PropertyControls\WheelPropertyControl.cs:line 42
at SharpCap.Base.PropertyControls.DiscreteValuePropertyControl.set_Value(String value) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap.Base\PropertyControls\DiscreteValuePropertyControl.cs:line 96
at SharpCap.ViewModels.DiscreteValueViewModel.set_Value(String value) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\DiscreteValueViewModel.cs:line 194
at SharpCap.ViewModels.WheelViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<set_Value>b__0() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\WheelViewModel.cs:line 72
at SharpCap.ViewModels.WheelViewModel.DoWithErrorHandling(Action action) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap3.2\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\WheelViewModel.cs:line 52
umasscrew39

Re: Issue connecting with ZWO mini-filter wheel

Post by umasscrew39 »

I tried it today and it now works through the ZWO ASCOM driver as the "ZWO Filter Wheel". I have no idea why it did not recognize it yesterday. I also do not understand why it does not work using the ZWO native EFW driver. SC did recognize it correctly and specifically as the "ZWO mini-EFW" when it only had the native driver available and not the ASCOM driver but it just gave me the error message I posted previously. I am a Mac user and never really understand Windows and why it works one day and not another.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The error code you received initially is one that indicates that communication has been lost with the filter wheel. I have one here somewhere so I will test to see if I get the same behaviour.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

This isn't urgent but just curious if you got the same response I did using the ZWO mini-EFW native vs. the ASCOM driver.

Regards,
Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

I did actually test this recently and the wheel worked fine for me using the native driver. One possibility is that I don't have the Ascom driver for the wheel installed and may be having both is somehow causing a problem?

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hmmm.....that's interesting. Thanks for testing and letting me know, Robin. Well, I guess it is good to know that the communication might occur if one has the ASCOM driver installed and try to use the native driver. In any event, the ASCOM driver worked fine when both drivers are installed. Thanks again for looking into this for me.