Sensor Analysis Mono Setting

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
carlosgib

Sensor Analysis Mono Setting

Post by carlosgib »

Hi guys, I have a ZWO 1600mm Pro, 12bit ADC, I wanted to do a test using Sensor Analysis but in the setting under Capture Format and Area,,
I believe that I need to use MONO12 however the options are MONO8 or 16. Am i missing something at this stage??

Regards

Charles
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis Mono Setting

Post by admin »

Hi,

That particular camera has a 12 bit sensor (other ZWO models might have 14 or even 16 bit sensors) but SharpCap doesn't know which until it's done the sensor analysis, so it shows a generic option between 8-bit and 16-bit (even though they might not be a full 16 bits of data)

Hope this helps, Robin
carlosgib

Post by carlosgib »

Thanks Robin, another question Robin if you do not mind. I successfully measured the camera gain etc by using the sensor analysis which was spot-on with the camera (ZWO 1600mm pro) data. I continue with the Smart Histogram reading my sky limit (here in Spain , Istan mountain I have a reading of 2.09 ) I obtain a zero '0' gain with 120 sec / 90 frames. Which I am using now this parameters as we speak.

My question is, I also have a FLI 16803 camera CCD, can I use this same method to calculate the exposure time /frames with a CCD camera, and how do I do this??

Thanks

Charles
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

As long as SharpCap will successfully talk to your CCD camera then you should be able to run the sensor analysis and then let the smart histogram calculate optimum exposure values for you. The CCD will almost certainly not have a variable gain control, but even so the analysis may take a long time because the readout could be slow. You may get better results by setting the camera to use a small ROI before running the analysis.

Cheers, Robin