Adefault setting for Banding Threshold and Supresion

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
carlwagle

Adefault setting for Banding Threshold and Supresion

Post by carlwagle »

Robin here is two of the controls I don't think I understand but I notice that they show up on my camera history or settings reports along with each capture

As I have said before I can't bring out any nebulosity anywhere or see any arms or bands in the Andromeda Galaxy (just the bright round central core).
What I'm asking for probably won't allow me to see nebulosity but I'm grabbing at straws. I'm wondering if you could give me a rough value (like a default level) to set these values. Right now I see I'm using BANDING THRESHOLD set at 35 and using BANDING SUPPRESION set at 0. I don't ever recall choosing or setting in these figures so they look like loose cannons to me. Carl
turfpit

Re: Adefault setting for Banding Threshold and Supresion

Post by turfpit »

Carl

The banding settings of 35 and 0 are the defaults. These are not something you need to worry about. You problems are elsewhere. My advice - stop worrying about banding parameters and concentrate on more basic issues.

As I recall, you posted about not seeing any nebulosity with M27. Now you have moved to M31 which I consider a much harder target. You might be better sticking with M27 if that object is still visible to you. Another object I consider viable is M45 - it is big and bright and has some nebulosity. With M45 there will be plenty of stars available for Live Stack to align and hence build a stack.

In Live Stack, have you tried clicking the Autostretch button?

live-stack-autostretch.JPG
live-stack-autostretch.JPG (82.79 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

It is worth looking on the Alignment tab and checking Highlight Detected Stars
to see what SharpCap thinks is happening.

highlight-detected-stars.JPG
highlight-detected-stars.JPG (52.38 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

When reporting problems, some information needs posting to enable others to assist you. Examples are the 2 screenshots above, a screen show of the Log tab, and camera settings (the text file is best).

Best to raise on new thread rather than continue under here.

Dave