Cannot process photos

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
John Hughes

Cannot process photos

Post by John Hughes »

I tried to process a night of photos on Deep Sky Stacker and got this message: Only one frame out of out 52 will be stacked. You should check/change the detection threshold to detect more stars and help DeepSkyStacker find a transformation between the reference frame and the others.
How do I change the detection threshold. Also do the settings on the Brain Histogram take into account the fact that you may be using filters so less light is getting through? I think the lack of light coming through the LRGB filters may be why the stars are not being detected.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot process photos

Post by admin »

Hi,

In DSS you need to turn down the star detection threshold percentage in the advanced tab of the register settings dialogue. This should increase the number of detected stars even if they are faint.

Remember that you are free to use exposures longer than those suggested by the smart histogram functionality – the exposure it suggests is the point where going to even longer sub-exposures will not improve the quality of the final stacked image further. However if your mount and guiding can cope with longer exposures then you will not damage your final image by using longer sub exposures.

Also remember that if you are using filters you need to run the brain sky brightness measurement with the filters in place!

Cheers, Robin