The Meaning of Frames Dropped

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
jimmyjames

The Meaning of Frames Dropped

Post by jimmyjames »

I downloaded 3.26 version, I had been using 3.25. I went out Saturday night and took 2 hours of pictures at 2 min exposures. Unfortunately, I had 38 frames captures and 28 frames dropped. I was capturing the frames, not LIVE stacking or viewing.

I compared my settings from a previous session and they were the same except for brightness.

I am a new user of your product, but I have been very happy so far.

So when I looked at my files in windows I had 36 frames, I thought I would only have 10. I now know I could have saved a copy of the log.

My question, so they were not dropped but sent to windows and stored on the laptop. So what does DROPPED really mean?

Thank You for any Help you can give.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Meaning of Frames Dropped

Post by admin »

Hi,

There are a number of reasons that might cause dropped frames – these range from USB issues which means that frames get corrupted between the camera and the software and get flagged as dropped to having a slow hard disk which can mean that frames cannot be written to disk as fast as they are captured from the camera (this last only applies while capturing and usually applies to high-speed imaging).

The trick is, as you've already suspected, to look at the log – the different types of dropped frames are identified in the log which would help narrow down the cause.

Cheers, Robin