32-bit fits file association issue

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
umasscrew39

32-bit fits file association issue

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi

This is really not a SC problem but hoping someone can help. I am saving fits frames from my live viewing stacks to post process in PI but unfortunately they are being associated with another program I have- PRISM. I have no idea how to unassociated them from PRISM so that they are available to use in PI. I have Windows 10 and I looked on-line about file associations but not sure what to associate them to from PRISM. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Re: 32-bit fits file association issue

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think you can do something about this by right clicking on the file, choosing 'open with…' and then selecting the 'choose another app' option. This should give you a list of apps that can open the file and the option to tick the box to say always use whichever app you pick.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

Thanks- I was trying that but I think I need it unassociated from any program as it probably was before I downloaded PRISM. If I try to associate with PI or any other program, it keeps asking for a specific file in that program. I have no idea what that means or how to do it. So, I am still stuck with not using the fits files from SC.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

On Windows 10:

Control Panel > Default programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Under Default Apps, scroll down to Choose default applications by file type

On my machine for .fits I have FITS Liberator. Clicking this gives me other program options.

Dave
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks, Dave

I was able to download Fits Liberator and it automatically changed the .fits from PRISM to FITS Liberator once I downloaded the program. I think all is back to normal as I was able to open a SC saved fits image in PI.

Thanks again, Bruce