64 bit vs 32 bit

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
donboy

Re: 64 bit vs 32 bit

Post by donboy »

My laptop has a 2.6Mhz i7. And my Astronomy computer has a 6core Xenon processor.

Both crash computers crash with 64bit SC.

Don
donboy

Post by donboy »

My laptop has a 2.6Mhz i7. And my Astronomy computer has a 6core Xenon processor.

Both crash computers crash with 64bit SC.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

Please can you post a log showing the crash or submit a bug report and share a screenshot showing the bug report window so I can easily track down the report.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I have a Dell laptop with a i5 processor 1.8GHz with 8GB RAM using a 64-bit operating system. It is slow and I will upgrade it as I ordered an ASI2600MC Pro but will the 64 bit version work on this slower computer and with all ZWO cameras? The 32bit version works fine. Unfortunately, raining here for a week so I cannot test it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think we've tracked this problem down to happening on older or low-power CPUs which lack the AVX instruction set. I dug out an old core i7 860 machine which showed the problem and spent some time trying to work out a workaround without any success. My approach now is that the 64-bit version of SharpCap (the next version to be uploaded) will give you a warning if your CPU doesn't support these instructions. In those situations the workaround is to use the 32-bit version.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I tried the ASI2600MC Pro with both versions. The 32-bit version froze but the 64-bit worked just fine on my slowish computer. The only issue I had was that for some unidentified reason, PHD suddenly stopped guiding.
TimHaymes

Re: 64 bit vs 32 bit / QHY174-GPS

Post by TimHaymes »

Related topic, but I was wondering about this as well regarding dropped frames in QHY174-GPS. I have W10Pro i5 8GB and SSD. At 50fps i get a regular pattern of dropped frames in SER mode (3 ever 53 frames), getting worse as the frame rate goes up.
CPU is arround 25%

In this thread Robin, you say about memory in 32bit : This can be used to set up, for instance, a large memory cache to improve frame rates when capturing from high speed cameras.

Is is possible to control the memory usage in my attempt to remove frame loss? I use 32bit version and have SC 3.2.6383 Buffer usage doesnt seem to change and no errors are logged.

ADENDUM: I have found the memory buffer and increased this to 2Gb.

Thanks
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tim,

the memory option only really comes into play while capturing - if your disk is not fast enough to keep up with writing the data coming from the camera than SharpCap will allow memory to fill up with frames that are waiting to be written to disk. I think it's unlikely to have any effect on dropped frames unless they only happen while capturing.

Do try upgrading to a newer version of 3.2 (from the downloads page) - there have been a lot of updates to the QHY SDK recently which might help.

Robin
GSBass

Post by GSBass »

Just to be clear, how much memory does 64bit have access to by default? I may try it since I just bought a new computer, if something is off I can always revert back to 32bit I have a tigerlake with 16gig ram, I did notice it was still writing a good many frames after capture completed last night
PetePeterson

Post by PetePeterson »

Last week I repeatedly encountered the Out Of Memory failure running an ASI 2600MCP on a 7 month old Dell laptop with an I-5 processer, 4 k ram, and 1 TB hard drive. SharpCap just locked out and required re-load.

Been running SC 32 bit since July but the drop-outs only recently surfaced. Took the laptop into the warm house, downloaded the 86x 3.3 beta, and was back out imaging within 5 minutes. The 64 bit download link isn't obvious, which is why I originally downloaded the 3.2 in 32 bit and even the 3.3 beta in 32 bit. But my goodness, the way the 86x 3.3 beta so seamlessly was amazing. All settings including the pro license were immediately up and operating. No subsequent imaging software problem that night.