Download and Licence Use

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
groberts

Download and Licence Use

Post by groberts »

After hanging around here for a while I'm now about to make a start with Sharpcap, in particular hoping the Polar Alignment facility will help with my long standing nemesis!

These questions might be in the website but can't find them:

1. Do I download the basic version v 3.2 first and then upgrade to SharpCap Pro or just go straight to SharpCap Pro?
2. Can I use SharpCap on more than one computer + if so how do I do this?

Thanks, Graham
turfpit

Re: Download and Licence Use

Post by turfpit »

Graham

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/feature-comparison. The Pro features, right-hand column, are only available once the license is applied.

Multiple computer use detailed here https://store.astrosharp.co.uk/Faq

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Just to be clear, the best thing to do is to download and install the normal version and check that it all works nicely on your computer and with your cameras. Then when that's looking good just buy the pro licence and add it to your already installed version of SharpCap and hey presto you now have SharpCap pro.

Cheers, Robin
groberts

Post by groberts »

Dave & Robin - thanks.
groberts

Post by groberts »

I'm using Windows 7 with Service Pack-1 and no problems with other software - recent updates of stuff like PHD2 went OK in a couple of minutes.

Downloaded the current version of Sharpcap 3.2.5990.0 but on installation last night it just hung for more than 5 mins on a number of occasions and I had to give up. Tried it again this morning and the same outcome but I left it and after about +15 mins something started to happen and after 35 minutes it had downloaded very, very. very slowly. I restarted the computer and it has opened OK but that's all for now, more to look at later.

I've never come across such a long setup / installation process, which to my mind points to something is not right - any thoughts please, don't want to invest loads of time if it's going to have problems?

Graham
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

There's no particular reason why the latest version should take longer to install than previous versions. For me it installs fine in the normal amount of time. One thing that can happen to cause this sort of issue is that your computer can be installing Windows updates in the background without you noticing and sometimes that can pause or block other installations until a particular update has completed installing.

Cheers, Robin
groberts

Post by groberts »

Point taken but I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here as I've disabled such updates - this laptop is dedicated to astrophotography and I don't want update interruptions in the middle of imaging. This is my first installation of Sharpcap but a little worried about this experience.