Date / Time in Sharpcap

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Altocumulus

Date / Time in Sharpcap

Post by Altocumulus »

Apologies if this has been asked, or even if it's in the manual! I tried Forum search, but both search options through me out of the Forum into Google.

Where does Sharpcap get the correct date / time from; there seems to be no option in the settings to adjust for BST.

I use UTC on my observing laptop, but after updating the latest 3.2 I ended up skewing to Neptune according to CdC, instead of the Sun, from parked. I know my mount isn't accurately aligned but until today I could remote find the sun by guessing a point just to the SE of its CdC location.

:oops:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Date / Time in Sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap take the data time from the Windows system date time. However, SharpCap largely works in UTC time rather than local time (as is common for much astronomy work).

However, I don't think the answer above is relevant problem you are describing – SharpCap does not get involved in the communication between CdC and your Ascom mount, and certainly doesn't have any impact on the way that CDC calculates the time or the location of objects.

Cheers, Robin
Altocumulus

Re: Date / Time in Sharpcap

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks Robin.

Something seemed confused (perhaps me :D).

CdC opens up an Eqmod panel, as does Sharpcap (I only noticed time issues with the latest version of Sharpcap). I run my observation laptop on UTC/GMT, but was disturbed by skew being so far away from expectation.

I'll have to revisit when the clouds have gone.

Thank you.

(btw I didn't get an email notification of your response)