SharpCap compatibility with Apple devices

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Jhcox1

SharpCap compatibility with Apple devices

Post by Jhcox1 »

Is SharpCap software compatible with Apple products such as iPads? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap compatibility with Apple devices

Post by admin »

Hi,
Sharpcap only runs on Microsoft Windows. It is not compatible with iPhone or iPad at all. It can be made to run on Apple laptops only if you install Microsoft Windows using bootcamp.

Cheers, Robin
tbclarkson3

Post by tbclarkson3 »

I am planning to add a Bootcamp partition so that I can use SharpCap. My total SSD space is 500g and I have about 200g that I have freed up. What would a minimum partition size be to run SharpCap primarily for EAA observing?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I should think that 100 GB would be fine for an install of Windows, SharpCap and associated camera software and plenty of space to do EAA. It's important to have some free space available so that Windows upgrades can run. You might get away with 60 to 80 GB, but then again you might find yourself running short on space and having to reinstall.

Cheers, Robin
clouzot

Post by clouzot »

Having tested that on my MacBook Pro, I can confirm that Sharpcap works within Parallels (a Windows virtualization software running on macOS). No issue with the camera (USB3), no dropped frames, and livestacking performance was similar to what I get running a "true" Windows10 on the same (bootcamped) Mac.
Among other benefits, the Windows virtual machine can be resized at will, so no space issue.
Arka

Post by Arka »

Hello,
If you dont mind me asking, how did you get it to work with parallels? I use parallels on M1 mac and for imaging i use Player One Mars-C Camera and i tried several times connecting it to sharpcap 4.0 version (also older versions) via USB 3 port, but camera doesnt show up. I installed the native camera drivers too but still didnt work.
Previously i tried with ZWO ASI120MC-S and ran into the same problem..
I am not so sure where am i going wrong.
(i connect the camera with the laptop with a USB C to 3
would be really helpful if you could share some info.

Thankyou
Arka
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

can't offer any specific advice on Parallels, but in VMWare and VirtualBox running in Windows there is a way to tell it to remove USB devices from the host operating system and make them available to the guest OS (and to do the opposite). Maybe there is an equivalent in Parallels that you need to use?

cheers,

Robin
Arka

Post by Arka »

the USB connection was showing up as 0 i changed that to 1.. But didn't work with the camera but worked with the external SSD as i connected.
And also in disk manager Mars-C was detected but it was telling me to update drivers which i already did download from player one website. but still it was saying it needs to be updated and when i clicked to check "search driver" it said .inf file not found.

right now i dont even know what I'm doing lol just trying out every possible way im seeing infront.. i will try contacting Player One regarding this issue too..

Thankyou very much for the suggestion Robin.

Arka
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Running Parallels requires a little Win knowledge as you are now working inside windows so pardon me but I am not trying to go too simple, I am just trying to help so...

Windows drivers typically have an ".inf" name structure but not always. Right clicking on a ".inf" file usually has a install option. Left clicking on this option then tells the dll files where to go (system32). And sometimes manufactures have a ".exe" which does all the work of placing the dll's for you.

In either case if you plug in the camera before the driver is installed the camera possibly can get mislabeled/identified/named and installing the driver later leaves the driver looking for a camera that does not exist only because it cannot see it under it's wrong name/label/identifier...

This happened with me and my USB3 ports getting a generic driver vs the very specific drive my ports required. I help you find the driver if you want or you can start a new parallels machine and ensure you load the drivers first then plug in the camera... Either way if you think I can help you get it resolved you can PM me or continue this thread.

I will apologize right now if this came across badly in any way.

Randall
Arka

Post by Arka »

Thankyou very much Randall for the brief explanation and no it didn’t come across in any bad way don’t worry.. Unfortunately i just logged back in today so i just read your message forgive me for that..
I emailed Player One that day about this issue too.. and Player One mailed me back few hours ago that the native camera driver will not work on windows11 on arm and they just released the driver for arm versions. and it worked just fine.
Link :
https://player-one-astronomy.com/servic ... licon-mac/

Arka