Tip of the hat!

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Cygnus_X1

Tip of the hat!

Post by Cygnus_X1 »

I am a new user of "SharpCap Pro" and I just wanted to thank everyone involved in making an outstanding program. Being a "newbie", I find the software very easy to use as well as full featured. Great job guys!

- Richard
Regards,
Richard

Atlas EQ-G | KSON 80mm Triplet Refractor | Orion SSAG | Lumicon 50mm Guide Scope | Canon EOS T6i | MacBook Air
carlwagle

Re: Tip of the hat!

Post by carlwagle »

Hello everyone. I too am a "newbie",, very New as I have never used a Windows system before and had no experience with any kind of video cameras.
I read that I should have posted this by clicking on "New Topic" but no such clicking spot could be found on the First Page and making a search within Sharp Cap also did not help to find the "New Topic" clicking spot so any help with that would be welcome.

I am advancing along slowly but surely. Last night I made my first LIVE STACK with a patch of stars randomly found near PROCYON. I could see more stars ( becoming visible) building up in the screen as stacking progressed and I can find the reference to a stacked file saved FITS on my computers File storage space. When I double click on it to open it I get a message:

How do you want to open this file?
Look for an app in the MICROSOFT STORE
More apps (with arrow pointing down) shows various apps which if I click on don't open the file.
Box to click on, with Always use this app to open fits files

What's my next step to see the LIVE STACK and will it consist of one picture that is made by stacking the 20?

Other questions:
1, How do I see color in my capture. I understand and have seen so far that everything is in black and white.
2,The running line down at the bottom of the screen that you see when ever you are planning or actually executing a capture always shows a different FPS being used than the one I have selected. I don't seem to have any influence on what is displayed in that running line. Related----it also seems that when I'm out at night the FPS that is being used is awfully slow (automatically) and I can't influence it. Am I overlooking something? Carl
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Carl

Start a new topic by clicking on Forums > General > 'the forum you want to post in'

new-topic.JPG
new-topic.JPG (39.34 KiB) Viewed 2048 times

To view FITS files, download FITS Liberator https://www.spacetelescope.org/projects ... load_v301/.

To understand how colour is handled look at this post of mine viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254.

A starting point for your fps issue would be to post the CameraSettings.txt file together with a screen shot of a capture in progress.

Dave
carlwagle

Post by carlwagle »

Thanks Dave. I did learn from you how to find the "New Topic' button and practiced several times doing that.
I read the Pipps introduction. It seems daunting but so did the SharpCap Manual to start with. So,, at 78 years old I say it is credible that the next time the Orion Nebula rolls around I will make a stacked image of it in color (or colour?).

But on at least my 4rth reading of the SharpCap Manual on stacking I read that I could have got my first stacking attempt in PNG (and not FITS) by using SAVE WITH ADJUSTMENTS or SAVE EXACTLY AS SEEN. I will try this during the next two nights. My son will help me get the prescribed software you recommend. This week end I'm hoping to learn how to send out some of the pictures I've captured by email,, very new stuff!

From SC Manual
The Save button has 4 sub options:

· Save as 16 Bit Stack will rescale the stacked data linearly between the 0 and the maximum pixel value into the range 0 to 65535 and save this as a 16-bit FITS file. The 16-bit FITS option is the default as it gives a high bit depth image with the full range of the image used (i.e. brightest pixel is 65535).

· Save as Raw (32-bit) Stack will save the full 32-bit stack data without any scaling as a 32-bit FITS file. The maximum value in it will depend on the number of frames stacked, meaning more adjustments will be needed when viewing (without further adjustment this FITS file will probably appear black when opened into a FITS viewing application).

· Save with Adjustments will save the image with the Live Stacking adjustments applied (i.e. after histogram adjustments and colour adjustments have been applied) as an 8 or 16-bit PNG file (depending on bit depth of camera being used).

· Save Exactly as Seen will save the image exactly as shown on screen as an 8-bit PNG file. This will include the effects of both the live stacking histogram and colour adjustments and the display stretch if one is applied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, Do I understand correctly that due to the compression of PNG files that if color could be debayered from them the images would not be as good as what could be gained by using the PIPPS process on a Widows operating system (which on a DELL , I have).

I have admired the many color pictures you have posted on this forum. I am in awe of all the skills you have mastered and how you are helping so many others along to similar successes. Thanks a lot, Carl
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Carl

Glad you are finding your feet. If it is any comfort, I am 68 so a relative babe. I have engaged with astro imaging as a hobby for about 3 years now, taking it up after retirement. At least at our age we can have a nap during the day if we have been up all night ;)

I think of astro-imaging as being likened to a 1000 piece jigsaw with the box lid missing. All the parts are there but they will take a while to piece together. The hobby is evolutionary rather than revolutionary as far as progress goes. Have a look at
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=596 to see how my imaging evolved over 2.5 years but still a long way to go yet.

Three important things to pay attention to are polar alignment, mount alignment and focusing as these cannot be fixed the day after. I haven't really done much Live Stacking since I wrote the original examples in the Sharpcap 2.9 manual, having preferred to concentrate on more traditional imaging and trying to understand the basics of image capture & processing. I have avoided automation to date and will introduce complexity only when I need it - guiding probably being the next on my list.

The SharpCap manual is a description of the functionality of the software rather than how to image. To fill that gap, I am working on a book which is aimed at helping beginners find their way. It is looking like it will be based around answers to the questions which are repeatedly asked in forums.

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Camera%20Basics is the place to read up about the different file formats. To answer your question about image quality it is really about 16-bit versus 8-bit. RAW 16-bit data (usually in FITS format for astro) will have the highest quality whereas 8-bit (usually compressed JPEG) will be of lesser quality. The best way to learn is to try things and evaluate the outcomes yourself.

Look in the Gallery sub-forum, as there you will find descriptions of equipment and the settings people have used to acquire their images. Also look at https://www.astrobin.com/ - put your equipment into the Search at the top of the page and discover what can be achieved and capture settings that will work for your equipment. Maybe join a local astronomy club where you will find people who will be able to help - the internet works to a point but there is no substitute for human interaction.

Thanks for the kind words. A long time ago I used to teach and I think there is still a bit of that in me. Good luck with the hobby.

Dave