Thank You

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
PeterNH

Thank You

Post by PeterNH »

Thanks so much Robin for the brilliant talk you gave yesterday at the PAS meeting in Kettering, and your patience in answering questions generally during the day.

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to get to the "gain setting" part of your presentation. Any chance of providing the slides, and/or pointing me to the relevant information about the relationship between light pollution (Bortle/SQM) and optimal exposure.

Peter
VulcanUK

Re: Thank You

Post by VulcanUK »

I'll second Peter's comments. Robin's talk at PAS was excellent, and very thought-provoking. Unfortunately I can't remember some of the finer detail.
I am a member of an astronomy group near Burton on Trent and we have many keen astrophotographers. Even they were amazed by the little bit I could tell them and it made them think about what they were doing, and how they were doing it

Would it be possible for either the slides or an information pack/ tutorial about the talk to be made available?

Many thanks

Ed
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Hi Robin
i have seen your recent talk on the net,
And as an OLD CCD die hard, I found your talk absolutely fascinating.
I am now very keen to try out your methods on my altair mono and colour cameras, and my old QHY10 CDD.

Is there any chance you can provide a little written explanation to your thoughts on the slides you were unable to complete i.e the gain section.
I really struggle to make a view on whether to use say 100 gain at longer exposure, and higher read noise, and at full dynamic range, or say 200 gain at lower read noise , shorter exposure, but reduced dynamic range and possibly more noise from sky etc?

Anyway, great talk, and thanks for publishing it outside of the show. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

Thank you for your kind comments on the PAS talk. For those wishing to see the talk again you can find the whole thing on YouTube at this link – https://youtu.be/3RH93UvP358. If you want to peruse the slides at leisure then you can see their presentation slides if you follow this link instead – https://1drv.ms/p/s!AiC5YsbMwY-M-2VSdJUwahGoIr3S.

The mathematical side explained in more detail in this forum post – viewtopic.php?f=35&t=456

I do intend to narrate the missing section of the talk on how to choose your gain level when I get a little more free time – hopefully in the next week or so.

Cheers, Robin
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

“I do intend to narrate the missing section of the talk on how to choose your gain level when I get a little more free time – hopefully in the next week or so.”

That would be really great, and very kind. thanks Robin.
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Robin,

Want to pass along many thanks for all your efforts with the development of SharpCap. You have many fans on NSN and many who appreciate your accessibility and prompt attention to problems, features and suggestions. I really enjoyed the PAS presentation, very informative.

Keep up the great work!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just wanted to let people know that I have now recorded the missing section of the talk on how to choose your gain value and you can find that here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1HjvlCJ5Y

Thanks, Robin
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Robin,

Excellent explanation in the video. Thanks for doing this!