confused and frustrated

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Kd0afk

confused and frustrated

Post by Kd0afk »

I am embarrassed. I cannot for the life of me get an image of anything on the screen. Nothing but black. I'm baffled. I hate to look stupid but I'm just not getting it. I do exactly what the people on the tutorials are doing but nothing. During the day time, I can see stuff, so I know it's not the camera. I own the SvBony SV105.
I'm probably just missing a step, but I can't figure out which step. I've been a professional photographer for 30 years and I'm kicking myself for not getting it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: confused and frustrated

Post by admin »

Hi,

The first step on the learning curve for astrophotography can be very steep – you have to get the pointing of the telescope, the focus and the camera settings correct all at the same time or you see pretty much nothing. The best approach for a beginner is to set the exposure time on the camera for a couple of seconds (or the longest possible if if less than that), set the gain to the maximum value, shine a light down the telescope to make sure the camera responds to light and then use the moon as your first target. The reason to use the moon is that you get a nice glow on the screen appear even if you are out of focus and somewhat off target. Once you can see some sort of brightness on the screen you can move the telescope until the moon is properly in view and you probably get a white image and then adjust focus until you can see a crisp line dividing the bright area of the moon from the black background. Once the focus position is sorted you should find that you can start finding other targets too.

Cheers, Robin
oopfan

Re: confused and frustrated

Post by oopfan »

Hi,

Terrestrial and astronomical targets focus differently. I agree with Robin, use the Moon, then take a tape measure and measure the distance from your camera to any fixed point on the telescope tube. Jot it down and keep it safe. Someday you may want to do terrestrial again, or perhaps you want to travel to a remote location and you need to remove the camera and then turn the focus knob to fit it into your travel case. With regards to measurements I use the back plate of the camera body, and on the telescope tube I use the back part of the shoe used for attaching a finder scope. Whatever makes sense for you.

Brian
https://astrotuna.com/