Tuning Memory Allocations

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
GregL

Tuning Memory Allocations

Post by GregL »

I see in the settings there are two sliders for adjusting the memory allocation for read buffers and stacking space. Is there any information or indicators available to assist in evaluating actual usage or tuning the allocation? I see some stuff on the bottom of the screen when I am doing a capture but am not clear as to what it is telling me.

Thanks,

greg latiak
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tuning Memory Allocations

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

Did you find the documentation? https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Memory%20Tab

If you are live stacking and still get out-of-memory crashes after setting a high value for 'Live Stacking and Display' then you may want to try the 64 bit version - let me know if that is the case (64 bit version currently in invitation only beta testing).

cheers,

Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks, Robin.

I had seen that documentation for the memory tab. But my question was more of how to see what the actual utilization was so I could tell if my memory allocation settings were appropriate. Back in the old days was used to seeing memory allocation values on various OS tools (VMS, Unix, NT, etc) where one could see how much of a pooled space was being used. Maybe wanting to know what is happening makes me old fashioned.

And yes, you did add me to the 64 bit test group and I have installed it and done a bit of playing. So far, no issues have popped up. Maybe when these clouds finally break...

greg latiak
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Greg

VMS - my favourite operating system.

If you want to monitor pooled space, use PerfMon and find the appropriate counter(s).

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Greg,

for the frame cache, look at the status bar at the bottom and it will show '1 of 250 frames in use' or similar. The memory you allocate for the frame cache is divided up into blocks of the frame size and these are used as needed (when capturing mostly).

There is not UI way to see the memory usage in the live stacking and display pool, but having a way to see that isn't a bad idea.

thanks,

Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks, Robin.

I saw the display at the bottom of the screen, thanks for identifying what it is. And yes, a display of tuneable resources is always helpful if there are user adjustments. Don't know how Windoze is currently, but when I was writing this kind of code there was always a balancing act as to how large to set work buffers before the buffers and active code spilled outside the working set. Then the paging got entertaining. So I am sensitive to this area.. an old war horse if you will.

greg
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Greg

I remembered the name of the tool - Poolmon - that takes me back a few years. Much more civilised than grappling with 'working sets' under VMS.

Docs here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... st/poolmon with download here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... e/drivers/.

Dave