Sensor Analysis Vanishes

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
GregL

Sensor Analysis Vanishes

Post by GregL »

Over the last few weeks while waiting for a less cloudy sky I have run sensor analysis on my QHY183c camera.
But tonight, of course, in a short window between the clouds, I tried to do something. But for some reason Sharpcap 3.1 seems to know nothing of this prior work. WTF? Where does this information live and how can I ensure that it is present when I need it? Rerunning this little exercise every time I go to use the scope is not a happy thought.

thanks,

greg latiak
avalon observatory
in cloudy Ontario
turfpit

Re: Sensor Analysis Vanishes

Post by turfpit »

Greg

See viewtopic.php?t=532. Found by doing a forum search for 'sensor analysis files'.

No need for WTF here ….

Dave
GregL

Post by GregL »

You are right, of course.

Thanks,

greg
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

could be perhaps that you did the sensor analysis in 8 bit (RAW8) mode and then ran in 16 bit (RAW16) mode?

cheers,

Robin
GregL

Post by GregL »

No, I was using Raw16 and did the analysis with Raw16... the file was in the directory. So today I did a bit of testing and with the focuser and mount not connected (changed setting to not automagically connect when opening a camera). When I connected the camera and opened the histogram, it took a very long time before the 'brain' icon showed up. So it probably would have last night as well if I had been a bit more patient. That is one thing I find trying -- why does it take so long for a change in a setting to happen? It usually seems like the program crashes... don't get the classic 'windows not responding' message that I get with other stuff. Anything I can do to make it a tad more responsive? Got lots of 64bit memory, an eight core ADM processor (3.5ghz), SSDs, not much else going on besides Ascom. Everything else that runs on that box has a real snap to it... I really like the stuff that Sharpcap does but this tries my patience.

Thanks,

greg
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Greg

These are the steps I would perform to investigate a problem of the type you describe, however YMMV.
  • Working off the bench, simplify the configuration by only having the PC/Laptop.
  • Connect the camera directly. I use a CCTV lens instead of the scope for this type of work.
  • Start Task Manager and select the Performance tab.
  • Execute the steps which are giving the issue, at the same time observe CPU, Memory, Disk looking for any peaks.
  • Repeat the steps using the Process tab. The columns for CPU, Memory and Disk can be clicked to display sorted in descending order of utilisation. Observe which processes are top utilisation for CPU, Memory and Disk.
Something may emerge from this systematic type of analysis. My next step would be to open Resource Monitor and continue to monitor the system when carrying out the operations in SharpCap. For deeper investigation , I would use Performance Monitor, select appropriate system parameters, collect data to a CSV and analyse in a spreadsheet.

It might be useful to post back a full report from msinfo (zip it up as it will be large otherwise). Also any relevant screenshots of the Task Manager active window.

Also what antivirus software is being used?

Dave