Ist Post - Orion Imaging Eyepiece

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
DaveE

Ist Post - Orion Imaging Eyepiece

Post by DaveE »

I have had a problem with my posts not being available for approval - Robin replied to my email and I'm trying a different browser. I tried twice and they just disappeared.

I have an older Meade LX 200 and it came with an also old Orion Imaging Eyepiece circa late 90's early 2000's. No drivers per Orion and yesterday a cheap adapter (analog video to usb) arrived. Have not had time to test it yet. The camera is 640 x 580 pixels, color.

I was wondering if this may work with Sharpcap - and if not what program would? I first asked this on Thursday before the adapter arrived but still would like feedback. My intention is to just gain experience before getting a better camera - up to about $300 should anyone have suggestions.
I'm tempted with the NexImage 10 as I can use some Amazon points to discount it a little.
Any advice on Sharpcap and camera upgrade appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ist Post - Orion Imaging Eyepiece

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

glad you got your posting issues sorted :)

Is the Orion eyepiece one of these? https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3231 ... eo-camera/

If so, I expect the video output is a composite video feed, so in theory a USB video grabber may work for you. These can be used in SharpCap, but unfortunately they are not all created equal... Some cheap ones off of Amazon/Ebay are rather hit-and-miss in whether they work correctly (or even whether you can find working drivers for them). The consensus seems to be that the best ones are the proper Ezcap.tv ones from http://www.ezcap.tv/ (I have one of these and have previously tested it with SharpCap).

One thing to note is that the electronic eyepiece doesn't seem to have any way to control the exposure time - depending on what the default is set to, you may be rather limited as to what is visible using this device - beware of throwing good money after bad...

cheers,

Robin
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Thanks Robin,

No, it isn't the same. Mine is all black model 8633 (I think).
I downloaded Sharpcap, attached the camera via usb and all I could see was a gray blur. I was not in a position where I could attach to my Meade and was about to give up - but I have a cheap Orion scope - not much more than a spotting scope really - and I attached it all to that - and I had some success.
The Orion is quite flimsy on it's tripod but it worked to a degree. If I knew how to attach PDF's I'd attach the datasheet for the Orion camera.
My next step is to set up on the Meade. So the usb grabber works - and only $10.
After that it's getting a better camera and again - any suggestion welcome.
Attachments
Orion.pdf
(903.33 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

well, good news that you got an image out of your old camera and the USB grabber!

Before you spend more money on a different camera, I'd suggest seeing if you can first get a terrestrial image from your current set up (roof, distant tree, etc) and then try for an image of the moon. All good beginners stuff and it helps you decide what upgrades you need to think about - If you can keep the moon nicely in view but the camer struggles then upgrade the camera, if tracking the moon is a problem then you need to think about the mount, etc.

cheers,

Robin
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ever feel foolish trying to register, then finding out two years later you already have? Must try and find my old password!
My 12" Meade Classic lx200's electronics went south, so I started a convert to Onstep (testing currently).
Health (neurological) issues have also slowed me down quite a bit - to an extent where I placed my Meade permanently on a lower deck of the house. Cannot move it easily now. It faces South and quite a bit of light pollution, but I have to make the best of it.
Just before my electronics went bad I purchased a Celestron Neximage 5. Perhaps I should have researched more but it's what I have now, and I intend to get some experience on it.
I used the Amazon points to get an Astro Tech AT60ED and a PCM-8 (explore scientific) mount on sale some months ago.
I've tried Icap that came with the Neximage - but do not like it much - did not get very far with it - so back here for another look at Sharpcap.
At least I know the Neximage shows up in Sharpcap - have not gone further but downloaded the first half of the PDF Manual.
So, a belated hello and I'm sure to have loads more questions.
Dave.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

good to have you back :)

You should find that things are a lot less fiddly when you try out your AT60ED and the PCM8 mount. The long focal length of SCT telescopes like the LX200 makes it hard to get targets into view and hard to keep them there and keep them steady - a focal length of 360mm rather than 3000mm helps a lot!

On the camera side, as you've found out the Neximage5 is quite limited by the small pixels and short maximum exposure time, but you should get some lunar images with it and might pick up a hint of some of the brighter DSOs like M13.

clear skies!

Robin