SharpCap and Rock pi X for compact set up ?

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Lambda

SharpCap and Rock pi X for compact set up ?

Post by Lambda »

Hello.

First of all, thank you for welcoming me and for the existence of this priceless forum, and the work of Robin! :)

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to use a single board micro computer Rock pi X:

https://liliputing.com/2020/10/the-59-r ... essor.html

For driving SharpCap, under windows 10, with associated driver of a ZWO 290 mini MM.

The idea would to install permanently on a scope used on field, without any specific extra request in term of connectivity, remote features, whatever:

Shortly Said:

- One scope,

installed in "piggy back" style:

- one Rock pi X (4GB and 128 GB eMMC memory) with loaded windows 10, Sharpcap and driver of the ZWO 290 mini MM;
- one mini LCD HDMI display 5" or 7" for instance;
- one mini keyboard with touch pad;
- one power bank for supplying the system;

and of course

- one ZWO 290 mini MM connected to the USB 2.0 port of the Rock pi X.

Everything would be cable wired, no using bluetooth or wireless connection.

Do you think this configuration would be sufficient for driving SharpCap decently, without looking for super high resolution and super high frame rate?
I would be satisfied with using the genuine resoltuion provided by the 290 mini MM and working in "video mode" with let's say 10 frames/sec for instance, no need really more.

In advance, thank you for your lights on this small projet.

Best regards.

Lambda
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap and Rock pi X for compact set up ?

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that should be workable - I used something similar to run SharpCap for an all sky camera until my camera enclosure started letting in the rain. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1). All I'd suggest is checking the relative CPU speeds on a CPU benchmark site. It looks like the Celeron is about 50% faster than the Atom, so it should be usable but slow.

I'm not sure about the frames per second though - I was running one frame per 30s (deliberately)!

Robin
bemo47

Re: SharpCap and Rock pi X for compact set up ?

Post by bemo47 »

Hi,

very interesting topic,

i checked on the cpubenchmark site and i found this :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (123.56 KiB) Viewed 769 times
so the global score is 929 for the 1.44 Ghz frequency, but it can be boosted up to 1.92 Ghz, so i don't know what could be the score then, higher for sure..

did anybody made a test of this new Rock Pi X with SC ?