Bit depth in live stacking status

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
gaar

Bit depth in live stacking status

Post by gaar »

The Status tab of the Live Stacking module shows a bit depth value that increases as subexposures are stacked. The display formats the bit depth with a numeral after the decimal point, e.g. "22.0". However, I've never seen a non-zero value in the tenths place, either in use or in the User Manual screenshots.

Can the bit depth ever take on fractional values, and I just haven't seen it happen? If not, then it seems like one of two bugs:
  • The underlying value is truly fractional, but it's not rendered correctly.
  • The underlying value cannot be fractional, and the decimal point and tenths digit shouldn't be displayed.
I thought I'd narrow down the options before making a bug report.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bit depth in live stacking status

Post by admin »

Hi,

the calculation is done purely in terms of powers of two, so the result will always be a whole number. That being the case, I think the .0 being in the UI is the problem.

Cheers, Robin
gaar

Re: Bit depth in live stacking status

Post by gaar »

Thanks, I'll post a cosmetic bug report... and perhaps a feature request. I'd like to be able to tell how close a given live stacking session is to reaching the next level of bit depth. Fractional bit depth values would be one way to present this information, but a different display technique may be more appropriate if the true value is an integer.