Bugfix releases of SharpCap 3.0

Official SharpCap and Forum announcements
admin
Site Admin

Bugfix releases of SharpCap 3.0

Post by admin »

As many of you may have noticed, I have followed up the initial release of SharpCap 3.0 with a number of bug fix releases (typically one every two to three days). As of now (13th May), most of the issues revealed by the wider testing following the end of the beta period seem to have been resolved.

I have just released SharpCap 3.0.3906, which you can find on the downloads page as usual - http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads.

This build is also now available by auto update to those who are already using 3.0.3888 or 3.0.3901. If you are on the earlier released builds (3.0.3861 through to 3.0.3881) please update manually to the latest build as soon as you can as there are over 25 bugs fixed since the initial release of 3.0.

I intend to continue with this intensive period of bug fixing for the next week or two if necessary - at the same time I will be compiling plans for the near features that may be included into the next version after 3.0

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bugfix releases of SharpCap 3.0

Post by admin »

Another bugfix build just uploaded (3.0.3948)

Recent fixes include:
  • Fix issues with cameras that are an odd (as in not even) number of pixels wide
  • Fix problem with errors caused by scripting crashing the app rather than being reported to the script
  • ASCOM mount control bug fixes
  • Prevent bug reports being sent for known issues caused by buggy ASCOM drivers.
  • Point Grey cameras - fix bug causing crash on selection of some models
  • Basler cameras - add missing DLL to installer - no longer need to install Pylon in developer mode
  • Fix rare crash when closing histogram
  • QHY GPS cameras - better timestamp handling, more FITS headers added
  • ASCOM cameras - fix intermittent crash when closing camera
  • ASCOM mounts - assume mounts that can't report their tracking rate are at Sidereal rate
  • Live Stacking - fix crash when trying to save stack with no frames in it yet
  • ZWO cameras - try to deal more gracefully with loss of camera while in use
  • Scripting - replace invalid characters when saving to specified file path.
In particular note that I am now including in SharpCap a list that helps identify crashes caused by buggy ASCOM drivers. When I receive a SharpCap bug report that I can track back to a clear bug in an ASCOM driver I will add the crash to the list. When SharpCap detects an error that matches one of the items on the list it will suggest you report the bug to the author of your ASCOM driver (rather than to me). This is good from two points of view...

1) Raising the issue with the ASCOM driver author might get it fixed for you - these are issues that can't be fixed by changes in SharpCap
2) I get less bug reports to look at, meaning I can spend more time fixing the ones that are due to real problems in SharpCap

cheers,

Robin
AdrianS

Post by AdrianS »

Hi, I just ran the auto update to go to 3.0.3956.0 from 3.0.3906.0 and my Anti-Virus (Avira free) quarantined the Sharpcap.CameraFinder.exe.
I know you publish a Virus check report with every update, but I haven't had a problem with any previous releases so just wanted to let you know and double check all is really ok.....
Here is the quarantine report:
Type: File
Source: C:\Program Files (x86)\SharpCap 3.0\Sharpcap.CameraFinder.exe
Quarantine object: 3cb2aa84.qua
Restored: NO
Uploaded to Avira: NO
Operating system: Windows XP/VISTA Workstation/Windows 7
Search engine: 8.03.44.66
Virus definition file: 8.14.08.212
Detection: HEUR/APC (Cloud)
Date/Time: 24/05/2017, 09:04

Thanks Adrian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the heads up on this - it's a false positive from Avira here. Anything that anti-virus flags up with 'Heuristic' or 'Generic' in it is to be taken with a large pinch of salt in the first place as those are the ones where they look for 'patterns that might look a bit like something a that might be a virus' rather than looking for signatures of known viruses.

cheers,

Robin
AdrianS

Post by AdrianS »

Hi Robin
Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation that all is ok with the download ....I suspected as much :)
By the way I think Sharpcap is one of the best pieces of Astrophotography software around - thanks for all your work, it's really appreciated!
Cheers
Adrian :D