Final 3.0 Beta Build Available

Official SharpCap and Forum announcements
admin
Site Admin

Final 3.0 Beta Build Available

Post by admin »

I've just uploaded what I hope will be the last beta build for SharpCap 3.0 :)

Build 3.0.3830 is now available from the Beta downloads page - http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/down ... a-versions. There is also a new license key which (like the new beta build) will run until the 7th May. I am planning to end the beta and properly release SharpCap 3.0 at the end of April unless any major new issues come up.

Here are the changes since the previous beta build:
  • Fix failure of certain scripting functionality in 3.0
  • Deal with failures from ASCOM hardware (Mount, Focuser, Filter Wheel) gracefully
  • Try to ignore bug in Orion SSAG ASCOM driver - should make camera usable
  • Don't allow dark frames to be captured while flat frame correction is active.
  • Various bug fixes
The big change here is the way that errors from ASCOM hardware are handled - when I looked at the uploaded crash reports from the previous beta build, every single one of them was due to ASCOM hardware not behaving properly! Basically I've changed the approach to this sort of error - it's no longer considered a critical error that must be reported and will cause SharpCap to shut down. Instead ASCOM errors are reported to the user allowing them to ignore the error (and perhaps retry having checked cable connections etc) or report the error if it seems to be a SharpCap only problem.

cheers,

Robin
StubbornRunner

Re: Final 3.0 Beta Build Available

Post by StubbornRunner »

Thanks for the latest beta.

I've been playing with it since just a few moments after you posted its availability.

I'm one of those who submitted the crash reports that occur when using ASCOM hardware -- in my case, a focuser.

When I'm using the version 3 betas, I see long pauses in the preview video display when I manipulate the focuser with the controls in SharpCap. It is during these pauses that the SharpCap crashes will occur. With the latest beta, of course, the crashes don't occur, but I have seen frequent long video freezes followed by the "ignore the error" message selection box.

With the last 2.9 released version, I don't have long freezes in video when using SharpCap's focuser controls. Video, focuser, and the telescope's control play nicely together in the 2.9 version of SharpCap.

Just to rule out some possibilities, I updated the ZWO ASI224MC drivers today and also installed ASCOM 6.3 as I was on 6.2. These updates didn't seem to perturb my observations above.

As another point of reference, with my last set of testing, I configured today's beta such that it doesn't control the focuser or the telescope. As you would expect, the preview video is nice and smooth -- no freezing or hiccups... I also have running a standalone focus application and a standalone telescope control application. SharpCap's video preview continues perfectly even when I manipulate the focuser or the telescope position control in these separate standalone applications. It's when I have SharpCap configured to provide control over the ASCOM devices that I have trouble.

I hope this gives you some more insight into the ASCOM/SharpCap related problems and crash reports. If there is anything you want me to look at or try, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much for the enormous amount of work that you have put into SharpCap! I will be purchasing a license shortly after the official non-beta release, problems or no problems with the ASCOM related support.

-Charles
admin
Site Admin

Re: Final 3.0 Beta Build Available

Post by admin »

Hi Charles,

thanks for the detailed description of the problem - I think it has lead me straight to the code which is causing the issue, which is great!

SharpCap 3 waits for the focuser to report that it is not moving before sending it a move command - that was added because I was seeing errors caused by sending move commands while the focuser was already moving with some focuser hardware.

It's obviously this check that is causing your issue - all I have to do now is work out how to fix it for you while not breaking it for focusers that require you to wait for no movement before sending a move command!

cheers,

Robin