GPCam not recognised in latest SharpCap

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
AstroPeterP

GPCam not recognised in latest SharpCap

Post by AstroPeterP »

I am using the original GPCam mono. It displays and functions using Altair capture and also using SharpCap 3.0 However having loaded Sharpcap 3.1 and licenced it for Pro, the camera does not appear on the camera list. I have tried this using two different laptops, one Windows 7, the other Windows 10 but with the same results. Rescanning for cameras, using different USB ports and different USB leads makes no difference. Any helpful suggestions will be gratefully received.
admin
Site Admin

Re: GPCam not recognised in latest SharpCap

Post by admin »

Hi,

try installing the latest AltairCapture on the machine as this will update the drivers for the camera which may help. If you have never installed AltairCapture on a PC then the drivers for the camera won't be available and if you have old versions then maybe the newest SharpCap will not see the camera.

cheers,

Robin
AstroPeterP

Post by AstroPeterP »

Hi Robin,
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried this approach this morning so am using the latest versions of both SharpCap and AltairCapture, sadly with no effect. I'm afraid I've exhausted my aged meager knowledge.
Cheers
Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, so a few more questions for you...

If you still have SharpCap 3.0 on one (or both) of these machines, does SharpCap 3.0 still detect and work with the camera correctly? (You can re-install SharpCap 3.0 if you have taken it off, it will be quite happy with SharpCap 3.1 still on the machine)

Can you post the SharpCap log from one of the machines - plug in the camera, run SharpCap, check the cameras menu and then goto Help->Show Log in the menu and copy all the log text.

Also may be worth trying going back to an older version of SharpCap 3.1 (try 3.1.5174 which was before the latest Altair SDK update) - let me know if that works.

I will also test out my older GPCams when I get a moment.

cheers,

Robin
AstroPeterP

Post by AstroPeterP »

Hi Robin, SharpCap 3.0 does detect the camera. I'll follow your advice and instructions and get back to you with the log data tomorrow.
Thanks
Peter
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

I had a look at this issue with my GPCAM MONO V1.

PC1, SC 3.1.5181 detects the GPCAM, AltairCapture build 31/10/2017
PC1, SC 3.1.5191 does *not* detect the GPCAM (Altair cameras SDK update at this version), AltairCapture build 31/10/2017
PC2, SC 3.1.5193 does *not* detect the GPCAM, AltairCapture build 15/03/2018

SC 3.0.4076 does detect the GPCAM

All 3 versions detect the 183C v2.

Both machines had altaircam.sys dated 14/11/2017

I can swap in/out any combination of SC & AltairCapture versions if need be.

Dave
AstroPeterP

Post by AstroPeterP »

Hi Dave,
Thank you for you investigation. I tried 3.1.5174 as you suggested and that was fine. I see you have taken matters further. So I guess I'll settle for version 3.1.5181 as that seems to detect the GPCam ok. I am hoping to get an Altair Hypercam later this year (not sure which one yet) but I'm sure that will be fine on SharpCap with no problems.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Peter
NB Log now removed from posting.
Last edited by AstroPeterP on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Peter

This will get sorted now we know at which version change the problem started. If you get offered a later version on starting SharpCap, then decline it for now.

When you get the Hypercam, make sure you have the latest available Altaircapture from cameras.altairastro.com installed first.

Dave
AstroPeterP

Post by AstroPeterP »

Thank you Dave. I appreciate all your help.
Peter
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Peter

No probs. Once you get a Hypercam you can get images like this (taken using an Altair 183C with Altair 66ED refractor - 30x60s @ 6% gain, unguided).

NGC7000.jpg
NGC7000.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 6457 times

Dave