Altair GPCAM DSO Imaging

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
dilipsharan

Altair GPCAM DSO Imaging

Post by dilipsharan »

I have recently bought a GPCAM2 which I have used to image the Moon, Venus and a very challenged video of Mars. All using Sharpcap 2.9
I however have not been able to figure out how to image Deep sky objects. I don't expect them to be brilliant but AltairAstro claim you can do this.

Any tips or suggestions would be gratefully accepted. :D
admin
Site Admin

Re: Altair GPCAM DSO Imaging

Post by admin »

The trick to getting going with deep sky with these cameras is to start with something bright - the Orion nebula (M42) is a good bet or a bright globular cluster. Try to use a scope with a low F number which will help keep the exposure length down and don't use a barlow.

Focus on a bright star if you need to (perhaps using a Bahtinov mask) and then find your target and start with exposures of maybe 2s-5s. If necessary turn up the gain to start to show some of the fainter stars or nebulosity. Once you have reached this point you can try moving to longer exposures and reducing gain to get less noise but you may be limited by the tracking ability of your mount. You can either save many frames and stack them into a final image afterwards or enable the 'Live Stacking' feature which stacks each frame inside SharpCap and accounts for tracking drift between frames automatically as long as about 5 or more stars are detected.

Hope this gets you going,

Robin
dilipsharan

Post by dilipsharan »

Thanks Robin. I'll give a go once we have a decent night. Dilip
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Dilip

I have a document which might help get you started - it is for my GPCAM MONO V1. the size is 800k so it will not attach to a post.

If you PM me, we should be able to sort something via email.

Not used the PM yet, so anything might happen.

Dave (turfpit)