GPCAM dropping frames

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
cuivenion

GPCAM dropping frames

Post by cuivenion » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, I'm using the GPCAM v1. When using it in Sharpcap 2.9 and 2.10 it nearly always drops the first frame. This isn't a problem for video of course but I'm doing long exposure with it at the moment, 5-10 minutes.

I'm also wanting to dither between frames and the quickest way to do this is to do one capture of one image at a time, rather than a capture of several images and pausing to dither.

Of course if it's always dropping the first frame it's going to take me twice as long to get my subs. I have a feeling this could be just how the camera is but if you have any advice that would be great.

admin
Site Admin

Re: GPCAM dropping frames

Post by admin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi,

I haven't seen that particular problem with the GPCAM, but the usual things to play with when dealing with dropped frames are check USB cables (use a short one for testing), try different USB ports and adjust the USB Speed parameter of the camera. If at all possible try a different PC too as a check - some USB chipsets seem happier with these cameras than others.

cheers,

Robin

cuivenion

Re: GPCAM dropping frames

Post by cuivenion » Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a different laptop now and the dropped frames doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. Still happens occasionally but there's no buffer on this cam.