SharpCap and ASI294Pro MC

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
rpsutton

SharpCap and ASI294Pro MC

Post by rpsutton »

Hi Guys -

Brand spanking newbie here. Been reading over the sharpcap manual and trying to learn about stacking and everything else (yikes - it seems like alot). So my attempt at the trifid was marginal at best. I mean a got an image - yay!- but the stars were bloated and the nebula was grainy so I know I need to adjust the camera settings. Is there a deep sky setting tutorial anywhere? Also, I don't think I understand how live stacking is supposed to work. Here's what I mean - if I choose for the fx menu to live stack 3 or 5 frames, I see a HUGE and immediate difference in the image that is displayed on my screen. However, if I enable "live stacking" and monitor whats going on, I see many many frames being successfully stacked, but the image on my screen does not change at all. I would have thought that if 3 or 5 live stacked frames for the fx menu made such a huge change, that the change from 20 or 25 frames form the live stacking option would be much greater, and yet I see no change at all. What am I not understanding ?

thanks in advance

Patrick
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap and ASI294Pro MC

Post by admin »

Hi,

Live stacking averages many frames rather than adding them, so the image doesn't get much brighter, but the noise levels will drop away as more frames arrive. You can then play with the black/mid/white level adjusters in the live stack histogram to pull out more detail.

hope that makes sense.

Robin
rpsutton

Re: SharpCap and ASI294Pro MC

Post by rpsutton »

thank you Robin - that helped me a lot. Now I understand why there was such a difference.

Patrick