Use the brain and smart histogram for NB filters

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
dts350z

Use the brain and smart histogram for NB filters

Post by dts350z »

I'm not sure what changed or if I'm doing something wrong but I previously got a result of gain 61 exposure 725 seconds (1% max dynamic range) then last night I couldn't get any results (under 15min exposure) until I changed the read noise drop down to 10 or 20%?

I had 0.06e-/pix sky for Ha, 0.16 for Sii, and 0.26 for Oiii. ZWOasi1600mm-cool.

Any ideas? I can provide the log.

Also, could we not just enter the sky measurement vs. having a dropdown? After measuring the above values I wanted to re-enter them (vs. re-measure) while changing other parameters, but didn't find good close values in the drop down.

Does black level = camera offset? If so, it's always zero, which I don't think is right, if not, where is the recommended offset for the recommended gain?

Oh, and re: selecting a dark area of the frame, I couldn't get anything to select, once the brain dialog was up, or by closing it and trying to select something first?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Use the brain and smart histogram for NB filters

Post by admin »

Hi,

What the brain is telling you is that given the conditions you have, it's impossible to hit 10% read noise contribution in under 15 minutes of exposure time, but it is possible to hit 20% read noise contribution in that time.

Perhaps in this situation the brain should give a result and show it has missed the read noise target (showing the actual read noise contribution achieved). I will have a think about this.

Good idea on the manual entry of the values - the dropdown was mainly there for my testing purposes, but it would be nice to be able to enter the values properly.

Selection - did you press the 'selection' button in the toolbar to activate the selection rectangle?

cheers,

Robin
dts350z

Re: Use the brain and smart histogram for NB filters

Post by dts350z »

Selection - did you press the 'selection' button in the toolbar to activate the selection rectangle?
No, I didn't know about that, I guess because it's not needed during sensor evaluation?

Thanks