How do I use the sensor analysis?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Danoglide64

How do I use the sensor analysis?

Post by Danoglide64 »

I was reading the manual and saw a link on youtube for sensor analysis, about half way through I decided to do it. The light condition was good so I ran the tool "sensor analysis" and came up with the final results displayed in the lower right corner. My measured bit depth was 12 and all the info in the chart required a purchase of Sharpcap Pro to copy and paste. What does all this mean? Is the results of the test applied somewhere so I can get better results through my ZWOASI224 camera tonight?

Thanks,
Dano
Danoglide64

Re: How do I use the sensor analysis?

Post by Danoglide64 »

P.S.
The video kept freezing up about halfway through so I never found out anything past the Dud showing Horsehead Nebulae.
Danoglide64

Post by Danoglide64 »

P.P.S.
Here's a screenshot of my test, what does it mean and what can I do
with it?

Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (8).png (167.93 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The figures calculated by sensor analysis describe the characteristics of your camera sensor and how much noise it creates at different gains. With those figures it's possible to properly calculate correct (or at least target minimum) exposures for deep sky imaging. It's a long read, but this article explains it all viewtopic.php?f=35&t=456. The SharpCap Pro 'Smart Histogram' and 'Smart Histogram Brain' perform these calculations automatically for you.

cheers,

Robin