Darks question

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
cuivenion

Darks question

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, as I understand it, darks for live stacking are not taken with the same offset (brightness) settings as the lights. The darks are taken by increasing the brightness until the the left hand peak is just above 0% or just above being black clipped.

Is this the same if you are doing more traditional DSO imaging , i.e lights, darks, flats etc and then stacking and processing later? Or do you capture darks with the same offset settings as the lights in this instance?

I'm using an ZWO ASI224.
turfpit

Re: Darks question

Post by turfpit »

For darks, I follow the accepted practice of using identical settings to the lights - exposure, gain, offset, capture area, colour space (everything). I take the darks straight after a set of lights, so as to get a reasonable temperature match. For deep sky, I have settled on taking darks as part of every capture particularly if experiencing rapid temperature drops during a long session. Taking sets of 50 darks has resulted in me regularly getting reasonable results.

The above works for me, however, YMMV.

Dave
cuivenion

Re: Darks question

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks, Just been out I'll post results later! :)