Sharpcap does not record in RGGB

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
manudu74

Sharpcap does not record in RGGB

Post by manudu74 »

Hi,

i recently use an asi 294 mc pro camera with sharpcap, but i have a problem recording images. Instead of saving in RGGB format sharpcap saves in GBRG format. I noticed that by wanting to work my photos with the SIRIL software. I contacted the creator of the software and here is his answer:

It's not a mistake. He just says he sees that your images are in GBRG while the default settings are RGGB. It takes GBRG because it is what is indicated in the header of the file. If it's wrong it's an error of the software that makes the acquisition.

Can you tell me what settings I have to make for sharpcap to record well in RGGB format, because my camera has a model of Bayer RGGB and not GBRG.

Thank you for your help

Manu
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap does not record in RGGB

Post by admin »

Hi,

are you capturing in FITS? If so, this is expected behaviour as applications that read FITS files can't seem to agree on whether they start from the top left of the image or the bottom left.

Your camera sensor looks like

RGRGRG
GBGBGB
RGRGRG
GBGBGB

If you think the image starts from the top left then the bayer pattern code (first two letters of the first two rows) is RGGB. If you think the image starts from bottom left then the code is GBRG. For instance PixInsight and AstraArt disagree on which code is correct, so as you can see it's impossible for SharpCap to put in a code that works in all applications since they can't agree with each other!

cheers,

Robin
manudu74

Post by manudu74 »

Hi Robin,

Yes I capture well in Fit.
but how do you know what the image starts
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

I have been through this just this week using Siril. I now know that Siril reads first row, then second row of the Bayer pattern and also PIPP & Autostakkert read second row then first row. Try this test:
- capture a very short video in SER format, with the cap on will do.
- drag and drop the SER file into PIPP and note what is shown for the Bayer pattern
- reverse the PIPP reported pattern for use with Siril

For example if PIPP says GBRG then use RGGB in Siril.

In Siril, if you have used File Conversion then Siril will have changed the FITS header and the Bayer pattern is lost. In that case you will have to force the Bayer pattern in Siril under

File > Settings > Other debayer

And select the appropriate pattern from the drop down.

Working from a mobile and from memory and would normally add screen images. I will be able to do this on Sunday evening if you are not sorted by then.

Siril worked well for me, I managed a reasonable M27 using Siril for calibration, registration which was stretched in the histogram, exported as a JPG for minor edits in Gimp 2.10.

With Siril’s inbuilt Image Processing functions such as Color Calibration and Background Extraction I will be using it more.

Hope this helps.

Dave
manudu74

Post by manudu74 »

Hi turpit,

I come to do what you advised me with PIPP and he told me ser (RGGB).
Attachments
Sans titre.png
Sans titre.png (60.13 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

PIPP is reading 2nd row then 1st row to report RGGB (I know this as it does bottom up)

GB
RG

So Siril will use GBRG as the debayer pattern (1st row then 2nd row).

If you have loaded the files into Siril via ‘File conversion’ then you will have to tell Siril the pattern as per my previous post.

Can you load a FITS image into FITS Liberator, go to the Image Headers tab and post a screen snip of that.

As Robin says, there is no defined order for software to read the Bayer pattern.

Dave
manudu74

Post by manudu74 »

Here,
Attachments
Sans titre.png
Sans titre.png (800.75 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Thanks. Use GBRG in Siril. If using PIPP or Autostakkert use RGGB.

Dave
manudu74

Post by manudu74 »

ok and if i use pixinsight ??
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

No idea, never used it. At a guess I would say use same as works in Siril. From the debayer pattern, there at only 2 choices.

Dave