FITs file header

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
chongo228

FITs file header

Post by chongo228 »

Is there a way to set the file naming output to a Fits Header like SGP puts out? This way PixInsight could pick up on my Dark and flat frames without me having to add them under custom settings when setting PI up to stack?

Does SC put the "dark" or "flat" in the file header when I select "dark capture" or "flat capture" from the menu at the top? Does the "dark" or "flat" capture option save the individual raw files? I prefer PI to process my flats and darks. I think SC makes a master dark when using the "dark" capture correct?
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITs file header

Post by admin »

Hi,

you are correct - SharpCap creates master flat/dark frames by averaging the individual flat/dark frames it takes. Currently there is no header field written to the master flat/dark files to indicate their frame type (and the individual flat/dark frames are temporary files and get deleted).

sorry about that,

Robin
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

Currently I just add "dark" or "flat" to the end of whatever name I entered in the text box at the top so I can keep track. Not a big deal and doesn't really take up any extra time.

I would love to see FITS header info added to another version of sharpcap. As well as the ability to keep individual dark and flat frames.
GregL

Post by GregL »

Robin,

I have crashed into this problem with my own attempts to use the Batch Preprocessing in PixInsight. I have enjoyed using your utility for creating master flats and darks for my QHY cameras and filters. But for some reason, neither file renames nor 'custom' allows me to use this script with your master files. Without the FITS keywords in the header it seems to want to use ONE master flat... fine for OSC but not so much with LRGB and narrowband. Be really nice if the keywords were in the header.

By the way, is there any tool out there for us abusers to allow us to edit the FITS headers? I am too lazy in my old age to write one myself...

Thanks,

greg latiak
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Out of interest, what fits header is PI looking for?

Cheers, Robin
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

When I have to use the "add custom" for stacking it ask for exposure time, filter type, and the type of image (dark, flat, etc). I've seen someone else that uses SPG stack in PI and they just pointed to the files and all of that info was auto-filled. I posted on the PI board asking for some examples of FITs files names used that PI was able to get the info from.

Also I think it helps when PI goes to plate solve for color calibration. It can get the object from the header to save time searching only that area of sky. I will post the responses I get from the other board.
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

This is the response I got....

i think most software follows this convention:

http://diffractionlimited.com/wp-conten ... xt_1r0.pdf

that's the original SBIG fits header keyword extension document from 2003

rob

Hope it helps
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It looks like the "IMAGETYP" header is the one we are talking about. I will see what can be done in a future version.

Cheers, Robin