EAA problems with ASI294 Pro

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Whixson

EAA problems with ASI294 Pro

Post by Whixson »

I’m using my new ASI294 Pro for live viewing and am having trouble. I’m using Sharpcap 3.1 and cannot get a good neutral background. It’s very green. The R and B white balance Auto doesn’t seem to do anything. I do live in a light polluted area but I could see the Leo Triplet easily with a 41 second exposure. But almost wiped out in green.

Second, it won’t stack! There seem to be plenty of stars too. Looking for advice of things to try.

Wayne Hixson
Seattle, WA USA
admin
Site Admin

Re: EAA problems with ASI294 Pro

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think that ZWO have some issues with AWB on faint images (long exposure) - feedback that the ZWO auto white baalnce was not working well was one of the reasons that I added colour balance controls to the live stacking (right of the histogram), so you could try using those instead.

As to not stacking, check the 'alignment' tab and the 'log' tab for info that might help track down the reason. Another good idea is to capture one or two individual frames at your normal camera settings. You can later load those frames into the deep sky test camera and play around with different options in the live stacking to see what helps (or share the frames with me if you get completely stuck).

Finally, if you have a 32 bit version of Windows then you may run into memory issues using high resolution cameras like the 294 - in that case using 2x2 binning is a good workaround.

cheers,

Robin
galljj

Re: EAA problems with ASI294 Pro

Post by galljj »

Check out https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5967 ... try8399976 , post #46. Lots of useful tips

John