AVI Compression

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Peregrine

AVI Compression

Post by Peregrine »

I may be being blind but I can't find a way to stop AVI being saved with compression. The problem arose when I got a new camera( ZWO ASI120MC-S)and concurrently switched from using Registax to Autostakkert. I cannot import SharpCap AVIs to Autostakkert without first deencrypting using virtualdub. Is there a way with in Sharpcap to change AVI settings or do I just have to use SER format. Also, is SER better anyway as it is a new format to me.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: AVI Compression

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap never compresses an AVI itself, but if your camera produces compressed data (MJPG, YUY2, etc) it will pass that straight through to the saved file.

What you are seeing is most likely not compression but just a side effect of the fact that AVI files are (unfortunately) vastly flexible and can save the same data in many ways. Sometimes you hit situations like yours where a file will not open in an application. Usually the thing is that if you carried out the same steps on a different PC it would work.

I'd always recommend using SER format if available and if it works with your workflow as it doesn't suffer from these problems.

cheers,

Robin
Peregrine

Re: AVI Compression

Post by Peregrine »

Thanks. I will try SER format tonight.