SharpCap on Win XP?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
libmar96

SharpCap on Win XP?

Post by libmar96 »

Hello,
I have a computer failure which I can't use for now. I am temporarily using old laptop with Win XP, which I had between 2008 and 2013. I have attempted to install latest version of SharpCap, but it didn't allow me to do it (because of WinXP).

I have a very important target selected for observation on Saturday/Sunday night, which is a rare exoplanet transit. I don't think I'll be able to use someone else's computer with Win7 or newer. Is there anything I can do to run ASI178MM-c camera? My Android tablet, which works with ASICap, wouldn't be enough because of battery and too low amount of space. What aboutolder versions of SharpCap? Or even something else I could use for that one night?
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap on Win XP?

Post by admin »

Hi,

you have to go back to SharpCap 2.9 for a version that will install and run correctly on WinXP.

There have been some reports of issues with the installer on WinXP, if you encounter those and you have access to a newer PC then install SharpCap 2.9 on the newer PC, copy the installed files (from C:\Program Files\SharpCap 2.9) to a memory stick and then copy them to the WinXP PC. That should work (you may need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 if you take that approach).

cheers,

Robin
libmar96

Post by libmar96 »

Thanks Robin! But I have another issue.

I have installed ZWO drivers and SC 2.9. When I choose the camera, it shows full 3096x2080 black frame and shows "0 frames (1 dropped)" and it doesn't change later. Changing any setting (like capture area, exposure time) causes the program to freeze. Was there any issue like that? I can't find anything in Google.

It keeps updating the time only until I choose anything. It doesn't upload the temperature, but it is correct (shows the beginning value only).

I have thoughts it could be the driver. Maybe it's too new and doesn't work for 32 bit system? I can't find any old version download.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

did you ever use this camera on this computer before? Some of these USB3 cameras can be fussy about the USB ports they connect to, particularly on older systems. Very early USB3 chipsets can be an issue.

Turn down the 'Turbo USB' parameter to minimum, try using a USB2 cable instead of USB3 and see the USB troubleshooting tips : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349&p=1556#p1556

My tests with SharpCap 2.9 and a ZWO174MC were successful (on Windows 10 - I no longer have a real WinXP machine)

cheers,

Robin
libmar96

Post by libmar96 »

Hi Robin,

No, this is the first time I try to do it here. This laptop has only three USB 2.0 ports. I tried the "Turbo USB" thing, but it freezes too. Too bad I have USB 3.0 cable only, so I can't check. I will try to find a shop to buy it tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you have USB2 ports then the USB2/3 cable thing won't make a difference. It's only sometimes useful if you have a USB3 camera and a USB3 port that don't get on with each other. Forcing the camera back to USB2 by using a USB2 cable sometimes helps.

Did you try the ZWO ASCOM or DirectShow driver? Not that I'd usually recommend them, but when you are desparate...

cheers,

Robin