opening download

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: opening download

Post by admin »

:D Hurrah!

hope that you have some clear skies now!

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

This is the second AV product to cause issues - Avast (after a signature update) and now AVG (reason unknown). One to bring higher up the debug checklist for futures.

Personally, on my capture laptops, I run without any malware protection other than the built-in Windows Defender (on Win 10 Pro). The machines are used only for capture or image processing and connect to the internet only for download of reputable astro software or drivers from camera manufacturer sites. No banking or other financial activities are carried out on these machines and I don't do social media. I consider this strategy a balanced risk but for others reading this, YMMV.

I wouldn't fancy the impact of AV software checking some multi-gig SER file trying to be captures at 60fps. Yes, I could turn off checking on the capture folder but most of these products do real-time in-memory checking as well.

If I had a 'jack of all trades' machine then I would consider a different strategy - which would probably still be buy a cheap machine off eBay that I would not worry about getting covered in dew/frost, dropped or stood on in the dark.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

the problem with pandering to the AV vendors is that it can easily use up *all* your time meaning nothing else gets done. I've decided to standardise on Windows Defender as the AV package I care about - I test each new build with it at several stages to make sure everything comes up clean. If other packages pick up on builds (particularly on builds of older versions of the product) then I'm not going to worry about that - there are 60+ AV packages out there (see virustotal.com).

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well - I was not thinking of the development process. What I meant was - when we get these strange issues then disabling AV software should be considered earlier in the fault finding process.

Hope that clarifies.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that is a good point :)

cheers,

Robin
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

Dave,
Robin did mention to me at the beginning that AV software is the likely cause of my opening problem. So AV considerations were at the top of the fault finding process with me.
warren
PostmanBob

Post by PostmanBob »

Hi all,
Point of interest actually. 2.9 ran ok with me with AVG anti virus suite but anything later AVG would block despite all suggested solutions, so! uninstalled AVG and have just completed Bitdefender trial and absolutely no problem with running latest version of Sharpcap but soon as my bought AVG re installed, no joy with 3.1 version. Windows 8.1 is my laptop so as my AVG soon runs out I shall buy Bitdefender total security but used to really like AVG. C'est la vie
PB
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for that info - sounds like AVG is getting upset about something in the recent versions - I will test myself when time allows.

I'd actually recommend Windows Defender these days - it seems to do a good job of keeping out of the way and not being intrusive.

cheers,

Robin