opening download

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
darkboonies

Re: opening download

Post by darkboonies »

unblocking did not help. I did get a message after unblocking and double clicking the file, that i could not access the file," perhaps I am not authorized".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you run other programs that you download? it sounds like for some reason you don't have permission to read (or maybe to run) programs from the downloads folder. Maybe you could download the file to somewhere else (like the desktop?). Running low on ideas I'm afraid - something definitely weird going on with your WinXP system!

cheers,

Robin
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

what do you make of the SHA 1 line being blank?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think that means that the browser cannot read the file to perform the checksum.

cheers,

Robin
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

Thank you Robin for all your help, appreciate it. Dang I have been studying SharpCap on my windows 10 machine with the idea I would use it for remote video and imaging. Will have to come up with a new plan.

I have not downloaded other soft ware so I don't know if I can open other downloads.

Warrren
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Since you have another machine, try this...

Install 2.9 on your win10 machine and then copy the contents of the install folder to the winxp machine. Or try copying the download across from the win10 machine using a USB memory stick.

Cheers

Robin
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

Hi Robin,
SC 2.9 downloaded to my win10 machine with the jupiter image. The download also showed the jupiter image in the usb stick. The jupiter image changed to the window image when I viewed the file in the xp lenovo. The warning " windows cant access and you may not have permission to access item" window appears when I try to open or run.

I downloaded virtualdub as a zip file and it opened and runs.
There appears to be something in 2.9 that this lenovo can't read.
Perseverance is king, thanks
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

Clarification, the jupiter image changes to a window image when 2.9 is still on the usb stick and viewed on the lenovo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ok, so it can't be file permissions because it is happening on the USB stick. That makes me think of anti-virus or security software again as that sort of software will block reading of files it doesn't like the look of. Another possibility is some sort of weird security lockdown in Windows group policy, but I'd only expect to see that on a corporate PC from some truly paranoid organization, not a home PC.

It's either blocking all .exe files (you can test by putting another .exe installer onto the memory stick) or SharpCap only. Blocking SharpCap only would point towards antivirus/security software. Blocking all .exe files would point towards some weird Windows settings lockdown.

cheers,

Robin
darkboonies

Post by darkboonies »

Robin, genius.
I got SC running on this XP Lenovo! Yeah!

You were right all along. I had an unknown version of AVG 2014 running in the background.

Thanks so much
Warren